Getting Reacquainted with my First Love

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

First turning love that is. Lida might object otherwise. I started turning with pens and pens will always be my first turning love. I have not been turning much lately due to numerous reasons. The summer extravaganza motivated me to make some pens today. It felt good to knock some rust off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Good for you Cody. I also have not been in the mood to do much turning. I have a few ideas percolating, so the motivation will come back. Things just seem to be in a holding pattern for Nancy and I. We are staying available to assist several family and friends, and taking care of a few house maintenance projects that have been on the agenda for far too long. My daughter has been home for the past 10 weeks doing a Physical Therapy Clinical. Giving moral support to two sons and one fiancee who each lost their jobs due to coronavirus cutbacks. All will eventually get better, but a lot of stress for their generation.

I'm happy that you got some play time. đź‘Ť

Cwalker935

Good for you Cody. I also have not been in the mood to do much turning. I have a few ideas percolating, so the motivation will come back. Things just seem to be in a holding pattern for Nancy and I. We are staying available to assist several family and friends, and taking care of a few house maintenance projects that have been on the agenda for far too long. My daughter has been home for the past 10 weeks doing a Physical Therapy Clinical. Giving moral support to two sons and one fiancee who each lost their jobs due to coronavirus cutbacks. All will eventually get better, but a lot of stress for their generation.

I'm happy that you got some play time. đź‘Ť

These are definitely strange times. It is hard to maintain a sense of normalcy with so many things going on and so many people struggling emotionally, financially and physically. Both of my daughters are expecting, one with twins, and are due within 10 days of each other. With one in Houston and one here in Richmond, we are trying to figure out how we can be in two places when the babies actually arrive. Staying healthy and traveling to Houston without becoming a carrier is certainly on our minds as well.

I had a close call through my temporary but not so temporary return to work and had to get tested. I had just gone to visit my parents who we had not seen in months when I got word of my potential exposure. Fortunately, the results were negative. That experience has made me very aware of how easily we could unknowingly infect those around us. Perhaps the best thing to do during this time is to try to do as many normal things as possible.

J_B

Cody, I hear ya on the getting back in the swing of things. I would be very careful on traveling as I have heard some states (state trooper & local police) are now checking car tags and somehow demanding that the people from hot spot states have to quarantine for 14days. How that works I dunno but good luck with the new additions to the Cody fold.

SteveJ

My daughter is expecting in mid-September. It sure is difficult to figure out if we should travel to see him when he arrives. The county I live in has only had 320 cases - but four of those have been people with direct contact with me and others in my church. Of the 28 who have bee hospitalized, three are from the church I pastor. I was tested May 27 and just yesterday got the call that my test came back negative....

Another guy from our church, with whom I spent about 5 minutes talking (through masks) on Sunday morning was running a fever by Sunday night, got tested and now, a week later he still has no results. So my daughter has her baby - do I dare travel 1500 miles? Do we fly? Do we drive? It seems like there aren't any good options.

I feel your pain Cody - (and congratulations on the upcoming triad of grandkids!}

1080Wayne

Please don`t travel , guys . Your new grandchildren will be much better off for having known and loved you for 20-30 years than just having been told by mom and dad that you saw them shortly after birth , and then got felled by Covid . Disappointing , I know , for your daughters , but they are old enough to understand .

The greater difficulty is not feeling free to visit grandchildren who know you well , who are not mature enough to understand the gravity of the situation , and really want you to visit , or come to see you .

And the worst is seeing your spouse in long term care , taking extreme care not to introduce it to the unit where others would definitely not survive although she probably would , seeing her go downhill from lack of ecercise , hugs , and no kisses .

pshrynk

The less anyone travels, the sooner it will be safe to travel again. Wear masks. Stay away from more than 10 people. Carry a six foot stick. Get tested any time you think you might have been exposed. have a self quarantine plan in place if you have more than one person in the household. It's a phenomenally huge PITA, but it is worth it to be more than a little paranoid.

Top Bottom