Getting organized

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

As with any organization there is often the need for club or chapter officers. However in my opinion, a pen turning group such as ours does not need to be that official or anywhere near that formal. All we need to do is establish how frequently we want to get together.

So with that said, please voice your opinions in this thread as to whether or not you feel the need to formalize and how often you want a repeat of Saturdays meeting, at different locations of course!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I'll start.......:wink:

I vote for all of us to hold the title "president/backup president" and leave it at that.

I also vote for meetings every other month, making the next one in January. I feel that way we can schedule demonstrations which are both entertaining and informative.

I also feel that maintaining an email list of active members, made available to all members might encourage spontaneous get togethers such as... "I just got some of that self leveling purple haze, star speckled resin and it is so cool. I'll be playing with it saturday morning if anyone wants to drop by and check it out, coffee will be on!"

rlofton

I second George's recommendations. I believe we will have more impromptu meetings than we think. Heck, the hospitality at John and Sherry's was so terrific that I am going to post a new idea from John so we can have another get-together at their place.

BTW, I think TD is working on the something like that resin but she calls it star speckled purple haze, non self leveling.

td

Banned
100% agreement, January it is..... now about next Saturday....:rolleyes:

Rudy, are you giving away my secrets?:tongue:

I think the informal nature of the meetings was why it was so successful. And as for meetings I'd probably follow the same schedule-informal-when we can when they are needed. Any thought to creating a yahoo group so that we have our own forum?

Texatdurango

A Yahoo group :eek:....... that's all I need, another forum to visit! Actually when I first started making pens last year I visited a Yahoo group first and after a week or so grew tired of the message structure. Then I found the IAP and the rest as they say... is history! :biggrin:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Friends, the reason for creating chapters within the IAP is such that you can have the benefits of local activities and interests yet not lose contact with the total community. If you are having difficulty with structure of the forum, you might try creaing a social group. They give you a lot of flexibility in terms of specific communications which might be of interest to your group exclusively. Here's some information about social groups and links to the power they give you.

What is a social group?
A social group is a group of people usually with a particular interest or something else in common. It provides a way of communicating between members as well as sharing photos or other images.
You can get to the list through 'Group Memberships' section on your public profile (?).
The Social Groups list page displays all groups that have been created. You can list the groups by the number of members, messages or pictures, the group name, when the group was created or by the date of the most recent message posted. You can use the controls provided to search for a group.
How do I join a group?
To join a group, click the group title then click 'Join Group'. When you have joined a group, its name will be shown in your public profile. You must be a logged-in, registered member to join groups.
Can I create my own social group?
As a registered member, you can create your own social group (providing the administrator allows this). Go to the groups page and click 'Create A New Group'. Complete the title and description for your group then select the type. There are three types of groups:
  • Public - open to everyone. There is no restriction on who can join or who can post messages to it
  • Invite Only - require an invitation to be sent to join them. Invitations can only be sent by the group creator or forum moderators and administrators. Invitations are sent by clicking 'Pending & Invited Members' at the bottom of the page for that individual group
  • Moderated - open to everyone to join but messages need to be moderated before they will appear. They are moderated by the group creator and the site moderators and administrators

Texatdurango

.... If you are having difficulty with structure of the forum, you might try creaing a social group...
I wasn't aware we were having any difficulties! :frown:

Tell ya what, I'll back on out of these threads so as not to cause any further difficulties! Those needing structure, knock your socks off!

byounghusband

please voice your opinions

IMNSHO,
I agree with Geprge all the way on the informal way we did the first get-together.

I've got WAY too many formal things in my life and I don't want this to be another.....

This forum is all we need. Yahoo is where I started as well, but got tedious to find what you wanted. Once I found IAP, I RARely hit Yahoo anymore.

George, I don't think anyone is looking for more structure, just thinking outside the box.... This box works for me. Informal meetings make it very easy to exchange many ideas that might be missed with any sort of agenda. You did a bang-up job organizing the first one and I for one had a great time, even though I had to cut out early. Can't wait to stay the whole time!!

And on top of that I got to play on the Mustard Monster!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Texatdurango

...And on top of that I got to play on the Mustard Monster!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I heard from a fairly reliable source that this particular mustard monster may be replaced if a certain young lady has here way in the near future.

If interested in a "hand me down" lathe, a PM to John probably wouldn't be a bad idea:wink:!

SherryD

Another meeting in January would be just fine with us. We had a great time and got to meet so many new people. We are also willing to travel and go to other shops to see what others have done. I would like to see other shops and see how others organize their work areas, goodness knows I need to be more organized with the equipment we have to make better use of them. Hosting again will not be an issue though, everyone was so kind to help with bringing food, drinks and other items for all to share.

StatProf

Howdy from SMU

Howdy All,

I am a professor at SMU and have been turning for about 4 years. I have a modest garage shop, but love to turn. I am in the Richardson area, but would gladly commute to Arlington for a meeting.

Blessings,
StatProf (Kyle Roberts)

Texatdurango

Hi Kyle, Glad you found the forum. I can hold the next meeting at my shop in Azle if no one pops up with a better suggestion. I think I'll start another thread to discuss a January meeting, watch for it.

Top Bottom