Getting Frustrated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I believe I asked this question but may have missed some answers so will ask again. I do not cast colored blanks much but every once in awhile need to. I have done 3 pens and wanted to cast the caps as close to the color of the nib section as I could with what colors I have. They are not too bad but I know there are those here who do casting could have done much better because they know their colors better. Anyway, my problem is with red. I can not seem to get a pure dark red. I have been trying casting powders. Now they look good in container but when cast and spun down not so much. So twofold question and the first part I probably know the answer and will probably try next time but do you back paint the blanks even though you cast the colors you think work well?? Second question is I am looking for a dark true red color. What do you all recommend. I have tried Black Diamond Scarlet, Black Diamond Candy Apple Red, Coastal scents Celini Red. I have a few others but these are the ones that looked good and closest to red. Exotics has a very low inventory so if you have a favorite source I would be willing to try and please give me name of powder or if you think liquid does better let me know. I am casting in Silmar resin. Also looking for tricks if you have used any to get a deep red. The ones when I spin look more pink or even orange when done. As I said I will try back painting this time too. Thanks for the replys. By the way these blanks will have some segmenting in them but that is not a problem when it comes to colors. The colors I tried had some sparkle in them too which I liked alot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
John - when I want a dark red or other colors, I use the Mixol pigments. They are liquid and not compatible with all resins, but do work with PR and epoxy. Just need a few drops. I have no experience with Alumilite and these. I got mine at local Woodcraft, but I'm sure there are other sources online. Some of the colors do slow the cure time of PR but with a little heat or time they come out fine. If you want sparkle, you need to blend with mica containing pigments.

JohnU

I usually mix a lot of red dye with a little micapearl. When I can't the color I want with dyes, I use rustoleum 2X spray paint. It's acetone based and cures just fine. It's a little smelly and messy but works. I use it when I can't get that certain color. I've used it with a little red russet mica to get a Truer red. It's hit and miss to get the shade you want but you can mix it with red alumilite dye also. Works good with alumilite and pr. Alcohol based inks also work with resin but I haven't tried red.

jttheclockman

So it looks like a dye is the answer as opposed to a powder. May have to experiment or just go with what I have because the other 2 blanks are not close to the main body color. Just do not have the time to experiment with colors for a few pens. Thanks for the replys.

MRDucks2

Of the reds I have cast, the only powdered pigment that approaches the liquid colors was... hang on, I just lost it... they make CA that most of have tried... got some in the shop... STICKFAST!
I picked up a few StickFast powdered pigments somewhere and the red was the best red I had found, though you may need to darken it for what you are shooting for. I still do better blending to a color with the liquid, though.

I know this is an OLD thread but it shows up at the bottom and well... this is something I see most people struggle with.

Don't try to find a single pigment that nails your color. If you do, great... but plan to use a combination of things to shade things the way you want to go. For reds, I actually use a red mica that is discontinued but like many it's very pinkish/purply. That's OK because I'm going to use it just for a base and drop my red dye on top of it in the quantities I need to get where I need to be. Many of my go-to colors rely on a mica base that is shaded with one or multiple dyes allowing for the mica look in the exact color I want.

Another great trick for a good solid red (and one of the VERY few recipes I'll share...) is to use about a 50/50 mix of Berry Red pigment from Divine Island Design and red alumilite dye. That combo gets you a nice solid red.

jttheclockman

Tim when I started that thread I was looking to try and match colors for the bottom parts of these pens. I do not cast much colors but wanted to use what I had. So I did wind up mixing a couple reds to get the red shown here. They came out close enough for the ballpark I play in. Good tips though.

Copy of IMGP0012.JPG

Top Bottom