Getting better but always room for improvement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I previously posted about making segments similar to bowl making (https://www.penturners.org/threads/trying-something-different-for-me.174149/). In that post I mentioned going for 4 segment rings instead of 6 at this small scale. That certainly helped as I hope the attached will show. To gain more accuracy I made a simple sled for the table saw with 2 fences at exactly 90 deg and hold-down clamps. As always there is room for improvement. My aim is to eventually get the chevrons perfectly aligned. The chevron is sapele in maple. The thin bands are rosewood and the end pieces pink ivory.

Attachments

• 2022-04-25_14-53-23.jpg
    2022-04-25_14-53-23.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 130
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

Thanks for the +ve responses but there is some slight misalignment and being something of a perfectionist I am not easily satisfied. My wife tells me that I will probably complain about the alignment of the screws when they put the lid on :).

Painfullyslow

I think each of us is overly critical of our own work, it is what drives us to continue to improve our craft. As a fellow perfectionist I can say that I really like the work.

NGLJ

I think each of us is overly critical of our own work, it is what drives us to continue to improve our craft. As a fellow perfectionist I can say that I really like the work.
Thanks and I agree about how we view our own work. It is hard to get others who are less perfectionist to see what we are "raving" about :).

NGLJ

Excellent work. DO you have photos of your jigs?
I have attached a couple of photos of the jig I used. It is very basic and only took about 30 mins to put together. I got the base and plywood fence from previous jigs I made. I generally use HDPE for runners since they don't wear and are self-lubricating. The two fences on the plywood are at exactly 90 deg and the plywood is at 45 deg to the blade as near as I can make it. You use it in much the same way as a Wedgie sled cutting alternately from the two fences. I am still trying to incorporate the Wedgie distance stop so that I don't have to mark out and cut exactly to the lines, which is introducing some minor errors. Unlike cutting pieces for a simple segment ring you have to cut in precisely the right place to make sure that the distance on either side of a chevron point is equal and can be repeated to get consistent pieces for a 4 sided ring. The fit of the ring determines the quality of the end product.

Attachments

• 45deg cut sled1.jpg
    45deg cut sled1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 45deg cut sled2.jpg
    45deg cut sled2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 73

TDahl

I have attached a couple of photos of the jig I used. It is very basic and only took about 30 mins to put together. I got the base and plywood fence from previous jigs I made. I generally use HDPE for runners since they don't wear and are self-lubricating. The two fences on the plywood are at exactly 90 deg and the plywood is at 45 deg to the blade as near as I can make it. You use it in much the same way as a Wedgie sled cutting alternately from the two fences. I am still trying to incorporate the Wedgie distance stop so that I don't have to mark out and cut exactly to the lines, which is introducing some minor errors. Unlike cutting pieces for a simple segment ring you have to cut in precisely the right place to make sure that the distance on either side of a chevron point is equal and can be repeated to get consistent pieces for a 4 sided ring. The fit of the ring determines the quality of the end product.
Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom