General Lathe and Bandsaw Maintenance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings all:

I didn't work on any pens today, but I did clean the morse tapers and cleaned & waxed the ways on my lathe. I also waxed the table on my bandsaw, replaced some guide bearings, and made a new zero clearance insert. Not much to show for it but at the end of the day it was still gratifying.

Speaking of wax, I bought a can of Trewax Clear Paste Wax at our ACE Hardware since SC Johnson's has been discontinued. I did find some on eBay, but wow, the prices were insane. The most expensive was listed at $999.95 for a new can. Most of the others were more reasonable, but still quite expensive, in the $80 range -- that's an awful lot to spend on a pound of wax.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I cleaned and waxed my lathe down the other day. The only wax I had was Renaissance wax. Worked good though. I also had to re-adjust the tension on my 17" bandsaw. I guess sitting in storage for a year knocked it out somehow. Of course I keep the tension off unless I'm using it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The belt on my 1018 Excelsior lathe broke the last time I used it, so today is maintenance day on that lathe.

egnald

What are you guys using to clean the lathe bed?
My usual go to for general cleaning on metal is Denatured Alcohol. Depending on the crud level, I might start with some Mineral Spirits then follow up with Denatured Alcohol. I use the Alcohol to take away that light oily residue that Mineral Spirits often leaves behind. - Dave

Woodchipper

I wipe the lathe bed with DNA, lightly touch it with very fine sandpaper, wipe again and use a new lubricant, Ballistol. Similar to WD-40 but is a thicker viscosity. Lightly wipe again with a clean cloth or paper towel.

Top Bottom