Mini Review General 25-200 - An investment in frustration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arcwick08

I've been on my new-generation 25-200 for almost two years now and have formed some pretty strong opinions.

When it is working, it's very nice to turn small items on. The evs, handwheel, reverse, etc, all combine to make it a great tool for precision woodturning. I'd say that in terms of performance, there is no better pen/small item lathe available.

That being said, I will never purchase another General tool ever again.

The electronic control gave up the ghost the first time after about a month of use. Turns on, but reads "0" and won't spin. Thankfully I bought it locally, and they replaced the whole headstock under warranty. However, service is miserably slow and the new headstock took over a month to arrive. And yes, the delay was General, not my local shop.

About 6 months ago I had a very small catch (honest). Afterwards, I noticed I couldn't get my banjo to tighten down. Upon inspection, the small catch had cross-threaded the banjo bolt. This is a custom cast piece with a tube and threaded rod that connects the banjo cam rod to the washer.
Also replaced under warranty - with a 3 week wait. However, the replacement part (which has the right part #) is slightly shorter than the original, and so barely holds all the threads of the nut on.

I sit here now writing this because, once again, my headstock's evs controller has lost it's mind and will only spin in reverse. I'm headed out this afternoon to see if my local dealer will do anything for me. I'm through with this tool.

From what I've read out there, electronics problems are the norm on these machines.
For shame, General, I expect more from an $800+ tool.

I'm ready to drop ~$2k or so on a larger lathe if it means I can get a good lathe that will work without issue - any recommendations? Maybe Grizzly's G0733?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Depending on where you are at.....There is a Nova for sale on page #3 in the "Deals. Gifts, Wants" section of the forum.

I have a Delta Midi......wonderful machine.

low_48

I was shipped an unusable Grizzly bandsaw. As far as I am concerned, Grizzly is not a step up from the General. Look for a used Jet. I've seen two Jet 1642 2hp go for less than $1300.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'd agree with all the above... Grizzly is not much above the General; and Nova is excellent. (I'm biased, I have a Nova 16x24, not DVR - but I love it. I waited for a Woodcraft sale and got mine for $700... )

Last edited:

arcwick08

Thoughts on Laguna's lathes? They've got a 18-47 that appears to be the grizzly with a different paint job?
How is Nova's customer service? The DVR looks Bad-@ss, but I'd be worried about all those fancy electronics losing their marbles and not being able to service it myself and having to rely on Nova...

ChrisD123

Hey, i have that same lathe and its been nothing but awesome to me, that being said I've had you problem where it will only spin backwards… easy fix all i did was play with it by unplugging it, hitting the reset button on the box, spinning backwards then stopping and waiting for it to come to a stop then trying again and eventually it will work again, definitely not something to get to concerned about I've only had it happen 2 times and its never taken more then 5 mins to fix.

arcwick08

I'm glad you've had better luck Chris! I talked to my dealer and he said that General did finally fix whatever their systemic issue was in the latest revisions of the machine. Mine was one of the first of the updated model :-(

arcwick08

I'd agree with all the above... Grizzly is not much above the General; and Nova is excellent. (I'm biased, I have a Nova 16x24, not DVR - but I love it. I waited for a Woodcraft sale and got mine for $700... )

Mark - how do you find the manual transmission? Is changing the belts a pain?

Powermatic/Jet are great machines. Mine have never given me any headache and I use it for pen turning and heavy bowls and hollow forms.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
General was a quality line of tools made in Canada, and they had some pretty amazing tools - they used to be in every school shop until Sawstop started being the school standard...I think I recall reading that General tried to license the Sawstop technology, but Sawstop was unwilling to license it out.

Losing the schools made General try and appeal to a different market, so they started having their tools made in Taiwan, and called it General International - no longer made in Canada, and a fraction of the price - but with the caveat that it`s not built the same as it was in the past...still decent tools, but not the gold standard...

Top Bottom