Gemstone settings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Looking for thoughts or ideas about settings for pen caps...

I notice some pens come with gemstones set in the cap, for example the PSI dragon pen. I would like to have something us amateurs can easily customize, not necessarily the kits that already have this "feature", but maybe with something like the PSI Designer (euro style). I've done a bit of work with stones, too, but have not really gotten into the soldering aspect of jewelry making. Maybe there is something already out there but, if not, and maybe if enough penmakers were interested, someone would be willing to make these? I don't have appropriate machining equipment to do this, but here is basically what I am talking about.

Something like this, threaded for a pen cap adapter. Although I do actually have some primitive lapidary skills, something cup shaped would be great to avoid cutting beads in half. Here's a very crude drawing from MS Paint for a better description of that idea. A burnishing tool (fancy word for a smooth round piece of metal) would be used to bend the top of the rim to hold the stone or bead in place. The band setting shown would probably be best, but an optional prong setting would be nice, too.

il_570xN.748369106_l960.jpg
cap.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I've also seen preset gems in different diameters that just requires matching recess drilled and glue. Used for folding knife thump studs. Jantz knife making supply company. Search Bezel Presets too.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

sorcerertd

I'm definitely familiar with Rio Grande. They are a huge jewelry supply store. I was hoping for something pre-threaded and ready to screw into a pen cap adapter. So many ideas... I guess there's always epoxy until I feel compelled to cut, solder, pickle, file, buff, etc. Metal clay is another option if I feel like doing some prongs with that carved look. Nah, feeling lazy. The idea is there for some day.

Top Bottom