Gave some instruction at a local prison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonC

So I've spent the past two days in prison. Specifically, teaching pen making to inmates in the wood shop. While there it's like being in any other shop. There are really creative and talented guys working there but life decisions have brought them there.

There are sexual offenders, criminals that committed crimes to fuel a drug habit, and a tiny, thin, methodical guy that's really focused on details. That guy, the smallest, most meager of the group, is a killer. Execution style.

I knew none of this going in (honestly didn't care why they were there), just knew that it was a medium security facility ran by the state. When I went in I couldn't take my cell phone nor the pocket knife I normally carry. Keys and ID only and those are given up on entry for the visitor badge.

Got in, shook hands, and started teaching. All the guys were eager to learn but there were the standouts that really asked questions. I answered questions as I worked, walked them through the process from start to finish, and then let them have a go.

These guys have a leg up over the average new guy because I taught them some tips/techniques that I've learned that I wasn't taught when I started. Showed them how to take one pen kit (European) and make it four different ways, showed them my process for applying a CA finish and buffing, showed them how to use digital calipers to match the pen blank the hardware for fit purposes, and so on.

Today one of guy guys came up and asked me what kind of wood he had in his hand. A lot of the guys thought it was Koa but the grain didn't seem right to them. It was Macadamia. I told them they could make some really cool pens with that. They told me I could as well and said they'd load me up with all I wanted.

They also had plenty of Koa in hand. Lots of curly Koa as well. I showed them pens I had made from curly Koa and they were amazed at how the figure really popped with the finish applied.

So today when I left they loaded me up with wood. They ended up FILLING my tackle box with a variety of wood before I left. Curly Koa, Macadamia, spalted Norfolk Pine, some wood they said was Chika (can't find info on it - closest is Chico), and Lychee.

It's a crazy situation. I couldn't carry my pocket knife in, but when I commented that "normally this is the part where I'd use my pocket knife but I wasn't allowed to bring it in" not one, but TWO guy offered up their box cutters. That was a bit of a surprise.

That shop is the single most dangerous place to be with these guys, but they all appreciate having a place to be creative and productive. They can't even take a pen they've made to their cell to draw.

A lot of mutual respect in there and, as much as I can teach them, there's just as much that I can learn from them. Some outstanding carvers in there. While it's called the wood shop they also do upholstery, metal work, carving, and so on.

Surreal. Some of the most dangerous guys here, in the single most dangerous place in the facility, and they're eager to learn and work just like any student I've had in the past.

So anyway, here's the haul I was given today. I was told by both inmates and the guy in charge that any time I needed wood or anything milled to let them know.
Also had requests (again, from inmates and supervisor) for me to put in an application to work there.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just kind of still processing it all.

Curly Koa, Lychee, and what they said was Chika on the right. I can't find info on Chika.
10616571_844557488910445_9197195264840951642_n.jpg

Norfolk Island Pine and spalted Norfolk Island Pine.
10628312_844557552243772_7509696933109086684_n.jpg

Macadamia
1897709_844598662239661_940054967032584590_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

An interesting position to be in, one of which I would probably enjoy and make it more permanent, if I could, they will not harm you...!

As for the wood species you brought home, I could swear that last one is Silky-Oak, I have some here cut in similar pieces and looks exactly the same, right to the wood outer skin...! You may need to check it out a little better...!

Good luck with it all...!

Cheers
George

Ironwood

Thanks for telling your story, I can imagine it would give you a good deal of satisfaction , especially the ones that really want to learn. I know I would like to do it given the chance.

Re-Georges post, I have both Silky Oak and Macadamia cut into pen blanks, both straight and X-cut. I believe what you have there is Macadamia, it generally is a little darker than the Silky, and has a little more contrast with the medulary rays. It can produce some stunning pens when X-cut.

southernclay

Hey Jason

Thanks for sharing. Cool experience for all involved. Just looking on my phone so hard to tell. From the name it sounds like Chakte Viga maybe? Closest name I can think of.

robutacion

Thanks, guys.

I'm still trying to figure out the wood on the far right in the fist pic.

Well, the wood on the far right, looks very similar to Loquat I have, the darker brows and particularly the "blueish" almost metal rust looking I see there, is what I found on a Loquat tree I processed over a year ago.

As for the silky-Oak issue, I will show you why I believe is Silky-Oak, I'm fortunate enough to have both, new and old (40 years + since slabbed) pieces of this wood, the new wood will take many years to look like there while the old wood, is an exact replica of what you have there. I can simply take some new pics to show you but, I will try first look for some older pics I have where I have very clear images of the colours and grain of the old silky-Oak. I have seen Macadamia wood, and it looks a bit different to me however right or wrong, doesn't matter to me but, if I can give you my evidence of what I believe it is, you can then make your informed decision, huh...???:wink:

I leave you with the Loquat images, the wood was green as you may recognize...!

008.JPG004.JPG003.JPG002.JPG001.JPG

Cheers
George

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Well done. "When men get it right everybody wins and men get it best from men who get it
right."

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

You may never know where the ripples you created with your generous gift of time and talent will go or how far your impact will reach when He takes it across time and space.
WB

Tom T

Jason, great thing you did for sure. Thanks for sharing it with us. Keep us posted if you do more of this. I like the Johnny Cash idea.

wwneko

Nice cache of blanks you got there! Hopefully you can make that a lasting relationship, even if you don't want to get a job there.

Woodkiller

That's awesome to do that and must feel great. Good for you for doing it and maybe you can do it on a regular basis if you don't take the position. My father-in-law retired from a prison and enjoyed almost all of his 40 years there.

JasonC

Thanks, guys.

Good deal, let us know if you go back. Gonna start calling you the Johnny Cash of the pen world! : )

I'm submitting a resume. :biggrin:

It's funny you mention the Johnny Cash thing. Wednesday I had the Johnny Cash playlist going. When I got in the truck Thursday to head to the prison Folsom Prison Blues was playing. I chuckled at the irony.

When I left Friday, after the two days of instruction, they also gave me a shirt and coffee mug. The coffee mug is white but the shirt...isn't. Combine that shirt with black 5.11 Tactical pants/shorts that I normally wear (it's either black or khaki) combined with black steel toe boots when I'm working away from home and you've got a double dose of irony with the Johnny Cash thing. We're both men in black. :)
10698585_845167385516122_1825588489514150448_n.jpg

Well, the wood on the far right, looks very similar to Loquat I have, the darker brows and particularly the "blueish" almost metal rust looking I see there, is what I found on a Loquat tree I processed over a year ago.

As for the silky-Oak issue, I will show you why I believe is Silky-Oak, I'm fortunate enough to have both, new and old (40 years + since slabbed) pieces of this wood, the new wood will take many years to look like there while the old wood, is an exact replica of what you have there. I can simply take some new pics to show you but, I will try first look for some older pics I have where I have very clear images of the colours and grain of the old silky-Oak. I have seen Macadamia wood, and it looks a bit different to me however right or wrong, doesn't matter to me but, if I can give you my evidence of what I believe it is, you can then make your informed decision, huh...???:wink:

I leave you with the Loquat images, the wood was green as you may recognize...!

View attachment 123293View attachment 123294View attachment 123295View attachment 123296View attachment 123297

Cheers
George

George, I have no idea what it is. I may be baffled for a while on those blanks.

Well done. "When men get it right everybody wins and men get it best from men who get it
right."

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

You may never know where the ripples you created with your generous gift of time and talent will go or how far your impact will reach when He takes it across time and space.
WB

That's poetic. :) I don't consider it a gift or anything. I felt it was something I needed to do to help myself. As far as talent...I could get lost in time watching a couple of these guys work and learn from them. Especially the guy that does the carving. I really wish I could take pictures and share his work.

The closest I can get is to give you a link to their page here: http://www.hawaiici.org/other.html Imagine those Tiki carvings 6+ feet tall.

A friend of mine that taught in a public school, then in a prison, said it was easier teaching in prison.

I've taught electrical theory at military/college level and the prison crew is more willing to learn. The guys in the military/college classes forgot that they volunteered to be where they were. I'm sure it beat the crap out of teaching high school, but still.

Nice cache of blanks you got there! Hopefully you can make that a lasting relationship, even if you don't want to get a job there.

Make no mistake, resume will be submitted. :)

Jason, that was a generous gift. I like the way WB said it.

No gift from me. I've been dealing with some pretty bad anxiety for years now. Stayed at home because of it. Started trying to do some volunteer work to force myself to get out of the house. So I see the volunteer thing as a bit selfish because I felt I needed to do it. Make any sense:confused:

Wow,just think of the positive impact you have made in their lives.

Way to go!

Steve

I hope so. It was cool for the inmates to ask Friday afternoon if I would be coming back Monday and when they found out I wasn't, they asked me to put in an application to work there and told the supervisor he needed to hire me. Initially they thought I was being paid to come teach them. When they found out I was there for free and had volunteered to come in it was a big deal to them.

Last edited:

JasonC

George, that's nuts. Looks like it very well could be because those last four images are a VERY close match. Especially that table of blanks. I'd say if I cut these up and bundled, and tossed them on that table they'd match.

Did some research and found that while native to Australia, it was introduced to Hawaii.

Would make sense that you would know what it is. :)

Thanks for the pics/info!

Last edited:

JasonC

Talked to the supervisor today.

He said that the guys have asked when I'm coming back and he pretty much told me to put the resume in.

Working on resume revisions now.

Will submit it tomorrow.

Top Bottom