Gave Away My Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

I upgraded my HF lathe to a Jet recently because the old one was throwing the belt and had a couple of bent gears. I don't have room for it so I listed it on FB for $40. I figured that's what it was worth if someone scrapyarded it. I disclosed that it had these specific issues.

Got 3 responses within an hour and a guy showed up for it an hour after I gave him my address. Before I take his money I turn it on and show him where the bad gear is. Of course when I hit that spot, it slips out and stops spinning, so I just tell him I'm not comfortable taking his money, and really just want it gone. I also gave him two pen kits, though I doubt that's the direction he's going.

He suggests maybe we work out a trade for some walnut boards he has extra, and I say fine. 2 weeks go by and I forgot about it. Yesterday 50 board feet of walnut shows up. Most of it in 12' lengths.

IMG_8034.jpeg
IMG_8037.jpeg

I guess I'm a cabinet maker now? 🤣

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I upgraded my HF lathe to a Jet recently because the old one was throwing the belt and had a couple of bent gears. I don't have room for it so I listed it on FB for $40. I figured that's what it was worth if someone scrapyarded it. I disclosed that it had these specific issues.

Got 3 responses within an hour and a guy showed up for it an hour after I gave him my address. Before I take his money I turn it on and show him where the bad gear is. Of course when I hit that spot, it slips out and stops spinning, so I just tell him I'm not comfortable taking his money, and really just want it gone. I also gave him two pen kits, though I doubt that's the direction he's going.

He suggests maybe we work out a trade for some walnut boards he has extra, and I say fine. 2 weeks go by and I forgot about it. Yesterday 50 board feet of walnut shows up. Most of it in 12' lengths.

View attachment 355158View attachment 355159

I guess I'm a cabinet maker now? 🤣
Or, it's a hecka lot of pen blanks. 😂😂

Mortalis

That's like what, half a billion pen blanks worth of Walnut? Maybe sement some bowl blanks?
Guess he had an overstock of Walnet and like you, kinda just wanted to get rid of it! 😉

KMCloonan

The good thing about having a lot of wood is it never goes out of style, and doesn't go bad (assuming you keep it somewhat dry). I have landed some unbelievable wood acquisitions over the past 15 years or so (mostly friends cleaning out their shops when they are moving) - My wife has somewhat forbidden me from bringing home any more stray wood, as our basement has enough to last several lifetimes.

derekdd

That's a nice pile, Todd! What a windfall for a lathe that's gonna need some work.

I have several walnut slabs laying around the garage drying out. The missus used to make resin and live edge charcuterie boards and side tables. Since she's gone back to work, they sit idle.

I'm thinking about using them to make pen boxes with rare earth magnets rather than hinges.

Top Bottom