Game Calls----Signing your work???????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

I have started making Goose calls and have a question. How do you sign them???? I just spent three days getting several of them made up and want to figure this out before any leave here. Heck most of the ones I have seem are just signed with a pen or have a metal band that is engraved. I will add a pic later today of some of my calls. Oh I did order a bunch of Cocobolo 6/4 for calls that shoud be here any day now.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gary, Frank (Rifleman) signs his calls. IIRC he has his signature laser engraved on the finished call. Hopefully Frank will get up before noon [:D] and chime in on the subject.

Gary Max

I was thinking that Frank was selling Game Calls. I know it's a lot of work to make one that is right.[:D] I am only going to make Goose calls--heck I getting one right is good enough for me.

clewless

You could create your own "makers mark" and burn it in on each piece either freehand or get Rockler to make you one for their signature burners.

Gary Max

Just got done for the day----I am working on what started out as 15 and has grown to 20 Goose calls. Here's what one looks like made out of Hedgeapple--aka Osage orange. They are turned just like a pen on a standard mandrel useing a kit that can be bought at CSUSA.

2006826193256_goose1.jpg

micah

Hey Gary,
Good to see another game call maker! Here is a predator call that I had my local laser engraver do for me. He does a pretty good job and doesn't charge me much. May be an option for you as well if you have someone close.
Micah
dsc01092arl4.jpg

dsc01091apa1.jpg

Gary Max

What I think I am going to do is get one of those mini stamps and make 1/4 inch round gold buttons and epoxy them on. It will be like what you are doing just on a piece of gold instead of on the wood.

Rifleman1776

Hey! I been up since 6 a.m., goin' to church in a few min.
See some nice calls posted here.
Yes, mine are signed by laser. I wrote my signature on paper, the laser guy scanned, reduced and programmed into his burner thingy. Stamping or writing on the call is not a good idea as calls get wet, handled and mistreated. If you have the equipment and a steady hand you can sign with a dremel tool. I would never be able to do that. Love the laser bit.

BigRob777

Gary,
If you don't mind spending a bit, you can get a branding iron (I think it goes by another name), in many woodworkers' catalogs. Here's one:
http://www.rockler.com/ and key in "branding irons". The page link was crazy-long, so I didn't past it here.

Be careful though, you don't want people thinking you're calls were made by General Motors.[:D]
Rob

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Gary,
If you don't mind spending a bit, you can get a branding iron (I think it goes by another name), in many woodworkers' catalogs. Here's one:
http://www.rockler.com/ and key in "branding irons". The page link was crazy-long, so I didn't past it here.

Be careful though, you don't want people thinking you're calls were made by General Motors.[:D]
Rob

I had considered the branding iron bit for my calls. But they have in-see and out-see curves that could make a clean brand difficult. I see a lot of woodworkers/turners who use the branding irons on flat surfaces, they would be nice for that.

Gary Max

Big Rob777--so far this week I have spent about $500.00 on getting these things made---evrything from boxes to Cocobolo.
I am going to have to stick with hand signed for awhile---done spent to much.
Frank I am going to town on Monday and see what it would cost to do the Signature thing with a laser. I just figured that I should sign them somehow before any left here. Got a guy on the way right now who wants to buy four of them. He wants Hedgeapple.
Thanks for all the help folks. When a get a bunch made up I will post a group pic of them. I did get some Butternut sawed into 6/4 today.

Gary Max

Alan I need to look at those---will add to my list of Monday's things to get done while in town. I think Wallyworld has them in the craft dept.
Now for the funny----the guy who talked me into making these Goose calls just left.
He bought 8 of them from me----that's all I had made.
Guess I need to make more---glad I bought 50 kits--LOL

laspringer

Gary,
Were do you get your goose call kits?
I would like to see more of your calls.
It's just a matter of time and you will be
making duck calls predator calls and turkey calls.
There are forums on the web for game call makers that
are as helpful as the members on this site.
Good luck on your call making.

Alan

Gary Max

I like that and of course I am going to Borrow---Max Blaster also. Thanks Anthony.
I traded a guy from Ducks unlimted some calls for the kits.
You can buy them on ebay --over in the hunting section.
Because I am always running behind---Goose calls are going to be the only game calls I am going to offer. Heck I am taking time away from turning pens right now. Of course I have several in my inventory so no one will notice that I am falling behind.
Oh it's not that sales are great---we are just kinda slow geting them made---LOL

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Big Rob777--so far this week I have spent about $500.00 on getting these things made---evrything from boxes to Cocobolo.
I am going to have to stick with hand signed for awhile---done spent to much.
Frank I am going to town on Monday and see what it would cost to do the Signature thing with a laser. I just figured that I should sign them somehow before any left here. Got a guy on the way right now who wants to buy four of them. He wants Hedgeapple.
Thanks for all the help folks. When a get a bunch made up I will post a group pic of them. I did get some Butternut sawed into 6/4 today.

It costs me $2.50 per call to get laser engraved.

Gary Max

Frank I talked to the Laser guy today---his price is $10.00 set up and a $1.00 per signature. So if you brought 20 at a time it would run you $30.00. Sounds like he is are priced about right. I may of sold him some pens while I was there today.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom