Friend/wood gloat.. Warning-long!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

So, there I was at my weekly farmer's market hocking my wares a couple of weeks ago, and this guy came up and asked if I'd teach him how to turn. I said sure, come out anytime! He asked me if I was interested in some walnut, and I said of course, but I assumed that it was in the log form, I'd have to do some work for it. "No" he says, it's milled. I said, "I'll tell you what, I'll teach you to turn, and I'll supply the turning wood, if you bring me some walnut."
He said, "fine, I'll see you some evening here soon."
Well, a couple of weeks went by, and I heard nothing till today. He asked if I still wanted some wood. I of course said yes, how much money should I bring. He said none. I said okay, and went to his place.
OH MY GOD!!!!! He has probably 7-10K bdft of walnut, cedar, white oak, etc... all in some stage or another of air drying at his place.
Long story short, I got through loading my truck with walnut (over 100 bdft) and cedar (over 80 bdft), and we got to talking. I said "well, if you ever run into money problems, you can always sell lumber." He said, "I don't need money, I could write you a check for a million dollars any day of the week. I'd rather have friends."
That just about blew me away. He told me to come out some evening when it's cooler, and I can get some white oak.
Turns out he is retired Army, and got into the lumber business. Now he lives in a home so big that he and his wife have rooms they don't even go into unless they have company, and all 4 of his son's own their own companies, lumber and tree companies included.
Long story short, if I want lumber, he says I can have it. If he doesn't have it, he can get it from one of his boys!

Isn't it amazing what happens when you show a little kindness to someone? You never know what you'll get!

P.S. I brought him a pen before I even knew what I was driving away with. He loved it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guts

Dave,it pays to be nice sometimes,i also met a guy with lots of wood(probably don't know what a million $ is) but i have never paid for any wood from him,every time he gives me some different wood i take him a pen made out of it and he's gave me more wood than i'll ever turn in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom