Freestyle Contest Discussion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Setting aside anything to do with to donate or not to donate, I would like thoughts on establishing guideline/timeline requirements such as only allowing the month of the bash to build the pen and/or having a commom element of some kind need to be incorporated into their design. My feeling is. it is not about who can build the best pen, but rather who can build the best pen given a set of contest guidelines/timelines which must be adhered to. I'd like to hear others opinions. I have my idea of how it should be done but want to incorporate ideas from all of you into it if I can. No matter the decisions made, some will agree, some will disagree. Such is life, I have thick skin to go with my hard head.:eek::wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Landon, this is YOUR contest. So, if you prefer not to do any one thing--so be it and no problem.

What I see as a major goal of the bash: It gives us (Managers and planners) a chance to really ENCOURAGE new ideas and creativity. Coupled with some prizes, it MAY bring out many of the ideas we hide to avoid the PSI's copying. So, I discourage rules.

I'm on the laptop at home, which I hate and it times out, so I will add more tomorrow--

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
At this point I'm looking more at rules governing timeframes, the "guidelines" would be put in minimally and only there to help enforce the timelines. ie. no one can finish ahead of time if they don't know all the rules before they start. :wink: After sleeping on it, I would say the "rules" need posted prior to the start of the bash(SOON) but still think no one should be allowed a year long head start. My opinion, I like to hear others, that is why I brought it up.

Landon

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I do understand, and agree with what you are saying about having people start and finish the pens within the actual contest time frame. I also believe that a Freestyle contest should be just what the name implies, "Freestyle". So, how can we insure adhearance to time frames while at the same time not imposing rules, requirements or guidelines that stiffle creativity?

I,m just thinking out loud here:

Have participants photograph raw materials with a current newspaper prior to starting construction. Document construction thru photos until the pen is completed. If the pen makes the finals the photos have to be sent to Landon to prove adhearance with the rules.

Go on the honor system. Tell people that the pen must be started on a certain day and trust then to do that.

Specify one SMALL design component, although i'd personally hate to do that.

Other suggestions?

mbroberg

One other thiought is, from now on, just let it be known and constantly remind people throughout the year that there will be a Freestyle pen contest every February during the Birthday Bash. Let everyone work on their pens for as long as they want. As long as the playing field is level then no one would have an unfair advantage.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I like the idea of having a year-long contest, culminating in the Bash, Mike...level playing field as well, and should foster some excellent creativity!

Some people use most of their materials and kits throughout the Christmas rush, and perhaps arent' stocked up on things yet - that makes it a bit harder to fit in in the Bash contest deadline...

Andrew

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There are also some penmakers in Very Cold climates that have "sheds" for penmaking equipment.

Count them out, if you have to start the pen in January or February.

AS I UNDERSTAND IT (not a fact, a surmise): Jeff Powell---Masterscroller (Workinforwood) is one such person. His casting is indoors, but I believe his lathe enjoys "shed life".

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks for the input so far, exactly the info I wanted to see come out. Keep the discussion flowing, more great info is out there as of yet un"spoken".

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
There are also some penmakers in Very Cold climates that have "sheds" for penmaking equipment.

Count them out, if you have to start the pen in January or February.

AS I UNDERSTAND IT (not a fact, a surmise): Jeff Powell---Masterscroller (Workinforwood) is one such person. His casting is indoors, but I believe his lathe enjoys "shed life".
Ed, funny you mentioin Jeff, it was his contest(casing) that gave me one of the ideas of a late criteria to keep people from starting early. Ironic that you picked him to reference as someone who would not like that idea. That being said, I understand what you are saying and it will go on the list of concerns to consider.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
After some consideration of what has been said and a consultation with Jeff, this is what I am proposing for the Freestyle contest. I'm open for thought, ideas, and concerns. Please post them in a timely manner as I'd like to get this finalized sooner than later. As far as timelines to start or restrictions I feel like there has been plenty of "evidence" to warrant the dismissal of those constraints.

The 1st place winner will have the option to donate (as we did last year) the winning entry to IAP (Jeff) OR keep their creation.

The pros and cons of the choice are as follows:

If you choose to go with the donation option you will receive the following:

1) Bragging Rights of winning
2) A commemorative plaque to hang in the shop (or wherever)
3) The 1st place prize package
4) You will receive last years winning entry to add to your collection

If you choose the non-donation option you will receive the following:

1) Bragging rights of winning
2) A commemorative plaque to hang in the shop (or wherever)
3) You keep your own pen to do with as you please

In the event the winner opts to keep the entry, the prizes will shift down one place.
For example--- 1st prize to 2nd place, 2nd prize to 3rd place, 3rd prize to TBD(still working on that part.

Scott

Hi Landon,

To me, this seems complex and unwieldy. The minute you give people options you're buying trouble. Because some people might not want to contribute their winning pen, rather than giving them the option, just don't do it. While it's a nice idea to get a prize pen as a prize, I just don't see how you could enforce it, and giving options is fraught with trouble. Just my advice after running these things for way too long.

But if you really want to do this, then just do this. It's your contest, your rules.

Scott.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Hi Landon,

To me, this seems complex and unwieldy. The minute you give people options you're buying trouble. Because some people might not want to contribute their winning pen, rather than giving them the option, just don't do it. While it's a nice idea to get a prize pen as a prize, I just don't see how you could enforce it, and giving options is fraught with trouble. Just my advice after running these things for way too long.

But if you really want to do this, then just do this. It's your contest, your rules.

Scott.

I hear you but don't see the same enforcement issue. I truly appreciate being disagreed with (probably a bad wording, but....) and challenged to ensure an effective outcome occurs. Jeff has the pen from last year, it simply would not be sent to the winner until the new pen arrived to him. The prize would fall under the same guidlines. I trust Jeff would ensure compliance with the agreed upon terms before transitioning one to the other. In the event that the donation is forgone by the winner, the prizes adjust accordingly and the original pen in Jeff's possesion would carry over to next year. There is, either way, a clear cut winner of the contest. No one will dispute who one, the winner simply picks one of two predetermined paths to conclude the contest with. Is this different and "outside the box" from maybe the previous years events? To this I say, yes it is. Does that make it wrong and or/problematic? Maybe. There is no possible outcome that will satisfy EVERYONE, this is fact. Not allowing the option may in fact, be easier. I'm not one to do things the easy or even the tradional way for that matter. Thanks for your post. The more people who offer their thoughts and concerns means the better the chance of eliminating problems before they happen. That being said, I am simply trying to come up with ways to expand the box a bit. Even though some disagreed last year, I firmly believe some who entered last year only did so BECAUSE the rules were "different" I definitly do not want to cause those who "don't do it for the money"(so to speak) to abstain from jumping in, that is my basis for suggesting the "optional outcome".

I hope this does not come across as me being a radical left winger, but rather just trying to incorporate some innovative ideas into the contest.

Whew..........:biggrin::wink:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
That is interesting. There would be no way of knowing the awards for the next year but next years "rules" could be established by the end of Feb. easily enough I think. :wink: It would certainly take away any excuses such as bad weather, holiday rush got in the way, was on vacation, and many others. I guess I better get THIS years stuff finalized so NEXT years planning can start.

mbroberg

I am really considering a year long competition, but I am not thinking of it as a replacement for the Freestyle, just something to allow all the creative juices flow with minimal time constraints. But as Landon said, that is off in the future. The Bash draws near!:eek:

ldb2000

With unlimited time and resources the freestyle contest would allow for some very creative entries and would give everyone a chance to prepare all the supplies needed to complete a pen for the contest . That really don't help with this years contest though . I will be entering a pen , as usual , and to be honest it won't be the most creative or best I could do if the contest is limited to a certain time frame . I started a new job and have been putting in allot of hours and don't think I could get it done in just a month , hell , I'm not sure if I could get it done if I started it tonight , there just aren't enough hours in a day , I haven't had any shop time in the past month .
I say , announce the Freestyle contest now and let everyone get a jump on it so we get the time to design and build the best pens we can .
As to the donation of the pen , it created quite a bit of controversy last year and I think it kept some members from entering , to punish someone for not donating by awarding prizes based on whether they will or will not donate the pen this year will have a similar effect . Why not just make it a request and let people decide whether they want to help the group on their own , my pen is up for donation if I should win and I think most will donate to help the group . Maybe give some sort of incentive like a front page shot for the month of March for the winning donated pen .

Top Bottom