Forstner bit recommendations wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I want to buy a set of forstner bits and I'd like to get them from amazon.com, just b/c I have over $70 in gift certificates for there. But I really don't know much about them so I'd like to see what people might recommend. They have brands including Freud, Grizzly, Hickory, Yukon, Guildcraft, etc. They're made out of titanium, carbide, high speed steel, etc. One says it has "ground tips". The one that amazon says has the biggest savings is this one from Grip with a (supposed) regular price of $179.99, now $44.99. I don't really put much stock in those prices when they say savings like this, but then I could be wrong and it really is a big savings:

http://tinyurl.com/nlv9d

If anyone has an opinion/recommendations, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Depending on how much you will use it, you might want to check the set from HF. I got their Titanium Nitride coated set and I am happy with it. I don't use it much though and haven't tried others to compare.

hombre4

If you are serious and plan on using them a lot then you might want to check this site out. They are expensive but supposingly the best on the market. I don't know how to ad a link so the web site is , www.traditionalworker.com. Bottom left of page is a link to Forstner Bits

Rifleman1776

You have asked a good question that I don't believe has a ready answer. There are many items out there on the market called "Forstner bits". In reality, most should be labeled 'forstner style' bits. In addition to the coatings, there is a variety of actual tooth types. And, like you, I'm confused as to which works best for what. I have a set of very old, original, genuine Forstner bits that simply are not suited for end grain boring in hard hardwoods. Forstners are intended for cross-grain boring. There may be a style out there with a non-traditional tooth pattern that will work well on end grain, I dunno. But would like to. Only suggestion I can offer is to phone the company you plan to buy from and ask, up front, if theirs are suitable for end grain work. And when you do buy, get from a reputable company that will accept returns if you are not satisfied with performance. Let know what you do.

rtparso

Forstner bits have become a style of bit. If you are looking for a set of bits to drill large clean sided flat bottomed holes they are the right product. I also have a HF set and if I wear one out I will replace it with a high-end product like Lee Valley. I do this for all of my sets of tools. If you need a specialty bit for drilling end grain buy that bit. I don’t see a need to buy a complete set of bits for $5-$50 each when I may never use some sizes. Unless your main objective is to collect fine tools. I that case find the most expensive set you can and brag away.

loglugger

Grizzly had a add for a 31 piece set for $55.00 last week that should be pretty good buy. I have a HF that has been ok, if you take a diamond hand hone to them they work very well. Use slow RPM with these bits.

KenV

I get what I need when I need it. A good spade bit can work well for end grain, especially the ones with spurs on the ends of the blades.

I have had good success with Freud bits that I got locally. I have a couple of China products that took about 2 hours work to get sharp. Ground with about a 10 grit grinder. You really want high speed steel in these bits.

angboy

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br /> Let know what you do.

Frank, I went with buying a few individual ones in the sizes I wanted, and got one Freud carbide one and then two Fisher ones- I'd have gotten all Freud ones (just seemed appropriate for me to get that brand...) but the other two sizes weren't available in Freuds.

KenV

Angie -- Carbide bits are excellent and provide durability - until you drop one and chip an edge. Keep Paul Hoffman's address in file so you can send them for regrinding. Expect the reground ones to cut better than new.

Angie,

The set you picked will work fine.

Here is the set I have, they work well also

http://tinyurl.com/pwmg2

Either set will work fine for you. When you become rich and famous you should look into the high priced sets.[:)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom