Forged carbon fiber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy328

I was ask if I could make a pen from a f c f block. Has anyone seen or heard of this? Where I could get a blank or block to make them? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I've never heard of a block or a blank of Carbon Fiber, but I'll bet you can stack and glue layers to make one.
I find this an interesting concept. I would like to know if you find what you're looking for.

Randy328

Screenshot_2019-12-25-22-08-44~2.png

MRDucks2

I believe what they are calling forged carbon fiber right now is a patternless block. Looks like pieces chopped up and sprayed together. I have seen it for knife scales and other thin stuff but not thick enough for a pen blank. May have to either glue some up or wrap them.

FGarbrecht

Question about 'forged' carbon fiber came up in another thread recently, as I recall it didn't really go anywhere. I googled around and was not able to find much. I found a manufacturers website but no retail info, no way to actually purchase blocks of the material. I guess this is a unique manufacturing method for carbon fiber marketed for specialty engineering uses, although what those uses might be remains a bit opaque. Personally I'd stay away from carbon fiber unless you have really good air filtration and effective respiratory mask protection. I doubt that carbon fiber deposited in the lungs is a benign problem and theoretically could lead to major issues down the line.

John Eldeen

So I found this definition for foraged carbon fiber on goggle
Rather than laying up woven carbon fibersheets and impregnating it with resin which is your typical carbon fiber manufacturing,Forged Composite uses a paste of fibers or chopped fibers (500,000 turbostratic fibersper square inch) mixed with a resin that is squeezed out to make almost any shape
With that definition in mind I don't see a reason it could not be made in a blank shape using the same generic practices as making a micarda blank.

Randy328

First of all thanks for all the input, really appreciate it! And second, bit of an update, after looking at the picture again I notice the name 'fat carbon materials'. Sure enough guy has a website selling different types of carbon for projects, worth checking out even if you don't wanna risk turning carbon. He sells the forged carbon in 2 x 6 blanks up to 12mm thick. Slimline for sure, drilling straight of course, possibly an 8mm kit?

philipff

In the industrial world of building components for aircraft/helos the carbon fiber thread is woven onto a form then baked at very high temp to make the component. I first saw this process in a huge building Bell Helicopter had operating for the pre-production testing of Osprey vertical flight a/c. P.

Top Bottom