Fordite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGVPens

I tried it a couple of months ago...blow out on one end about 3/4 of the way through. I found the piece and CA glued it back...doesn't look bad so I thought I would finish it, someday.

Today I had some time between projects and finished it with sandpaper on the lathe. I sanded down to 600...used a little EEE-Ultra Shine on it.

So.... How would you guys finish it from this point, It's my first Fordite ? One Step, Novus 2&3, CA and micro mesh...???
I have 3 more Fordite blanks and would like to get a good system for them.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwzrd

I sand to 600, polish with Yorkshire grit, 6-8 coats of CA, wet sand with 600, Polish again with Yorkshire grit, and finally polish with Maguire's plastic polish.

RGVPens

I sand to 600, polish with Yorkshire grit, 6-8 coats of CA, wet sand with 600, Polish again with Yorkshire grit, and finally polish with Maguire's plastic polish.
I've never heard of "Yorkshire Grit" is it like the EEE-Ultra Shine that most suppliers carry?
Do you think Maguire's does better than One-Step or Novus polishes?

woodwzrd

I've never heard of "Yorkshire Grit" is it like the EEE-Ultra Shine that most suppliers carry?
Do you think Maguire's does better than One-Step or Novus polishes?
Yes, Yorkshire grit is very similar to EEE-Ultra Shine.

As far as the Maguire's, I have only ever used Maguire's so I am not able to give you comparison but I have always been very happy with the end result.

hewunch

Because the material is so prone to chip, I like putting several coats of Med Ca on it. My uncle, who was one of the original folks to work this material, just sanded it out through 2000 wet.

Top Bottom