For my Wife, Pink Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

Every Pink Ivory pen I've turned has been for my wife. No reason, no special occasion needed, just for putting up with me. A one-piece BHW Gold Titanium Cigar pen, using kit tubes. Sanded off the lathe up to 800 grit, mostly dry - 400 was done wet using Mahoney's. Finishing also done off the lathe: 2 coats Myland's Cellulose Sanding Sealer, followed by 3 coats Myland's Friction Polish, hand rubbed with Mirlon Tan after each coat. One final coat Ren Wax.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG-0598.jpg
    IMG-0598.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG-0601.jpg
    IMG-0601.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG-0604.jpg
    IMG-0604.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarred

My wife selects from whatever comes out of the shop for her own. Same response here-- Happy wife, happy life. A small price to pay to keep creating.

I have not worked with pink ivory. Do you use a UV protectant to keep it looking fresh?

DrD

@Jarred I've been led to believe that shellac offers UV protection. I don't know for sure, but I believe both Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer and Myland's Friction Polish have shellac in their formulation, and those are what I used. Last Pink Ivory I turned was maybe 15 or so years ago, and they are still nicely pink. Pink Ivory is a dream to turn; last time I bought any was almost 20 yrs ago, and it was pretty pricey back then, and not too easy to find.

Stakhaus

Every Pink Ivory pen I've turned has been for my wife. No reason, no special occasion needed, just for putting up with me. A one-piece BHW Gold Titanium Cigar pen, using kit tubes. Sanded off the lathe up to 800 grit, mostly dry - 400 was done wet using Mahoney's. Finishing also done off the lathe: 2 coats Myland's Cellulose Sanding Sealer, followed by 3 coats Myland's Friction Polish, hand rubbed with Mirlon Tan after each coat. One final coat Ren Wax.

Thanks for looking!
@DrD you have the same problem as I do, my wife has obtained at least four pens that I have made. Great looking pen....thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom