For bowl turners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penbros

Im turning my first bowl. The curve of the inside isnt matching the curveature of the outside, Im using the elsworth gouge. The rim is about 1/4 inch but right away it gets thick. Is it my tequnique? I feel like im doing it right, I just try to copy the shows. If I cant figure out what my problem is with the gouge, what would be a good tool to finish out the hollowing to my liking. I was using the round nose scraper but its really grabby.

Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Take caliper and see where the wall thickness is getting large. mark that spot with a pencil. Start your next cut at the pencil line.

for finishing the bowl walls after the thickness is right try shear scraping. If you do not know what it is there is a video on the Sorby site.

dubdrvrkev

Try to use your gouge as long as you can. Make sure it is sharp as you can get it for these last cuts. I'd stay away from a hollowing tool since they are will often leave a lot more tear out which just makes more work for you in the end. They're great on end grain, but on bowls a gouge is your friend. To finish up, I'll agree with Mike, shear scaping works well.

All you need is practice.

I turn bowls with only a bowl gouge and a parting tool to set and remove the tenon.
As others have said, shear scraping is the way to go.
On occasion if/when needed, I'll use a cabinet scraper to clean up some tear out.

low_48

It's the way you are moving the gouge. You have to direct it to make the cut. Use a caliper or bent heavy guage wire to check wall thickness. I position myself, looking at the bowl, so I have one eye looking inside the bowl, one eye looking at the outside of the bowl. Might sound strange, but it lets me imagine a wall thickness as I move the gouge. It lets me get pretty close with the wall thickness. Have you watched the video on the use of the gouge? David explains it really well.

Doghouse

Lot of good tips here. I would also practice using the entire grind. There are a lot of places where when turning a bowl, you rotate the tip as well as swing the handle to maintain the proper presentation of the edge to the side of the bowl. Practice makes perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom