Footed End Grain Natural Edged I Dunno Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

A tree fell down in my back yard during one of the numerous rains last month. I am buffaloed by the type of tree. I thought it was a sweet gum until I took a close look at it's leaves. I thought it cut like tulip poplar when using a chainsaw, but the leaves were not tulip poplar. PlantSnap identified it as poison ivy, poison sumac, black gum, Carolina poplar or a European tree. I decided to turn a chunk to see what it would do. I first mounted it with a worm screw but it began to split as I threaded it so I thought it must be poplar. I decided to try to turn it end grain and it did not turn like tulip poplar. It seemed harder even when wet. There were absolutely no shavings when hollowing, it was basically throwing off powder despite a freshly sharpened gouge and the wood being very wet. Since I was experimenting, I left the natural edge on even though it was not harvested while dormant. I turned it thin with the expectation that the bark would separate as it dried. After it had dried, I decided to carve some feet. It did not carve like poplar. The bark seems very tightly adhered.

Here is my footed end grain turned natural edge I dunno bowl.

02DD51FF-3783-4A69-9B05-5DA047649873.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom