Flower prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

Since Mother's day always sneaks up on me, I am trying to think ahead this year and am considering filling this vase with wooden flowers. Up until today, I have not tried making a flower so I decided to try to do a prototype flower and whipped this one out. It has a lot of room for improvement. I am looking for some advice.

What is the appropriate height of the flowers? I am thinking of varying heights with some a little shorter and others taller.

Should I carve lines to separate the petals?

Should I use a variety of Woods?

I am made this one in two parts. Should I use contrasting woods for the inner and outer sections?

Should I paint the stems green?

F76205F4-06B6-4F57-8251-5F30071FA833.jpg

EFF98167-463A-49C1-8C79-536B8DA28942.jpg

Charlie_W

Since Mother's day always sneaks up on me, I am trying to think ahead this year and am considering filling this vase with wooden flowers. Up until today, I have not tried making a flower so I decided to try to do a prototype flower and whipped this one out. It has a lot of room for improvement. I am looking for some advice.

What is the appropriate height of the flowers? I am thinking of varying heights with some a little shorter and others taller.

Should I carve lines to separate the petals?

Should I use a variety of Woods?

I am made this one in two parts. Should I use contrasting woods for the inner and outer sections?

Should I paint the stems green?

View attachment 186682

View attachment 186683

Very good start on your flower..I like it and the color too!

Short answer to your many questions......ask Lida!:biggrin:

Suggestions: For the stem, go out in the back yard and cut a switch, peel the bark and use green dye/stain. Most stems aren't straight anyway....the bloom looks for the sun and the stem bends to follow.
Go for uniform thickness on the flower wall and maybe remove the center.
You can use wire with some globs of hotmelt to form those little thingies (stamin, pistal?) inside the flower them paint as needed....drill and glue in place.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Your prototype looks excellent Cody. A great start.

But, I will say yes to all your questions except the contrasting woods for the inner/outer. :eek:

Well done.

Top Bottom