Fleck Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I ran into some other issues and decided not to finish this as a pen, but I went ahead and turned down the one barrel to see how this would come out.

The tubes were painted with "fleck stone" paint then cast in Water Clear Surf Board Resin, turned and sanded through MM 12000. I think it's promising and I will try this again to get a whole pen out of it.

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

The resin came from Tap Plastics. It is a polyester resin. I don't know if there are significant differences between this and other PR, but it claims UV resistance (if don't know if others do) and has a blue-ish tint before it cures and I don't believe other resins I've tried have that. That's all I know about it.

-Barry

bitshird

Barry, the Gallon I got a week or so ago from Mr Fiber glass has a slight, (light green/blue tint)in the can) of the resin, I live near a place the manusacturers water park equipment, They buy several hundred gallons at a time, I was going to try and buy a gallon from them to try. The stuff still smels the same,

stevers

Some surf board resins are made to use in layering fashion. They are not made to be cast in thicknesses. They can be called "lay up" resins and are made to be used in laminations, not solid castings. Mr. F calls theres 435 Standard Polyester Lay-up Resin.
They will all generally look and smell the same. Far as I've been told, the lay up resin cures to hot and will crack from the heat if you try to cast with it.
Look here and you can see some of the diff types. There are a lot.
http://www.mrfiberglass.com/polyester_resins.html

Top Bottom