Fixing tube defect?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

After turning to rough dimensions on a mandrel, I remounted this blank between centers. When I tightened the tailstock, I noticed a split in the wood. After removing, I found that a small piece of the brass tube wall was missing!! I successfully glued up the split but the blank will split if I mount again between centers and even if it didn't, I'm sure it will split when inserting the nib. I have no idea how this happened but ..........
My only thought to recover this is to trim the end back to full brass tube - it will reduce the length of the barrel by just under 1/8".

Any other suggestions to salvage this barrel? Thanks in advance folks.

Attachments

• Tube defect3.jpg
    Tube defect3.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I am sure you will get better answers than mine but if it were me I would see if I had a bushing the proper size for the tube and finish turning it as is. The torn out piece of the tube is pretty small and I do not think 🤔 it would affect mounting your non end. What type of wood is the blank?

jttheclockman

I agree about using a bushing and if you do not have one turn one. You have a lathe, lathe makes things round. :)

Timber Ripper

If it's the tip or cap end you can file the inside dia for a slip fit. Then glue your hardware. The slip fit wouldn't cause your repaired crack to crack again.

magpens

Yes, use bushing to turn to desired size ....

then ... use straight-sided adjustable reamer to take off a little of the internal metal (brass tube) to give just a snug fit to pen hardware ....

then ... finish/polish as desired ....

then ... use epoxy to glue onto the pen hardware, and finish up pen assembly.

In your final assembly, you want to avoid the pressures that come with using the usual "pen press". . That's why I believe in using a straight-sided adjustable reamer to enlarge the brass tube internal diameter just a tad. . You can do the enlargement very carefully, a little bit at a time.

EDIT: The post that appeared immediately above (by Timber Ripper) as I was typing is spot on, and corroborates what I am thinking/saying !!
Thank you, Anthony ! . A file works, but I like my reamers !

MPVic

Yes, use bushing to turn to desired size ....

then ... use straight-sided adjustable reamer to take off a little of the internal metal (brass tube) to give just a snug fit to pen hardware ....

then ... finish/polish as desired ....

then ... use epoxy to glue onto the pen hardware, and finish up pen assembly.

In your final assembly, you want to avoid the pressures that come with using the usual "pen press". . That's why I believe in using a straight-sided adjustable reamer to enlarge the brass tube internal diameter just a tad. . You can do the enlargement very carefully, a little bit at a time.

EDIT: The post that appeared immediately above (by Timber Ripper) as I was typing is spot on, and corroborates what I am thinking/saying !!
Thank you, Anthony ! . A file works, but I like my reamers !
Thanks - very much appreciated.

Top Bottom