Five things to help improve your pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scrofts1219

I'm approaching my fifth anniversary of this crazy penturning hobby. I've gone through a lot of agony getting to where I could consistently turn a good quality pen. I was cleaning up my shop a little last night and I started thinking about some of the major changes I made from day one to now that actually made a significant difference in consistency. I'm sure others will have similar items, but for me these were the five that made a big difference. For reference, I started using carbide tools so I don't know a thing about the "old school tools you have to sharpen."

1. CA glue needs to be fresh. It goes bad and sneaks up on you. I live in TX and leaving it in a warm shop during the summer shortens the shelf life. Trust me, it does. I have a little plastic tote and I bring all my CA glue into the house (laundry room) when I'm not be going to be turning pens. It has made a BIG difference in finish consistency.

2. MicroMesh pads get worn out and you don't realize it. I replace mine quite often--don't really know what kind of a rule to use because everyone turns different volumes of pens. Always use wet, never dry, and keep them clean and fresh.

3. Turn between centers. I don't know who came up with that idea and solution, but it's great! Sure, it's a hassle if you like to turn two blanks at the same time, but relax and enjoy the journey.

4. Dump regular sandpaper. I feel the same about Abranet sanding sheets as I do about TBC. Wonderful stuff (an understatement). Completely changed the quality of blank sanding and finishing.

5. Figure out a way to keep everything organized in a way that feels good. Not everyone is the same, but find what really works for you. There are a lot of little pieces, tools and components. Being organized makes everything a lot more enjoyable.

Bonus. Remember it's a hobby for most of us. Don't worry about making a lot of money or you'll be disappointed. Most people don't have their hobby to make money. We can offset some costs once in a while, but it's best just to enjoy the smiles on people's faces when you give them a beautiful gift--preferably in a gift box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hbillings

After 5 years myself I just started turning between centers and I now see your point...

Thanks for the tips!

1shootist

Excellent top 5

I've not tried abranet ...is it bought and used in the same grit as paper ?
Maybe the assortment pack of 80-600 to try out.

budnder

I hear you on the Abranet thing, but I'm not there yet. It lasts longer, for sure, but I'm still preferring bulk rolls of quality conventional and being able to rip off a fresh two inch strip... and then discarding it when after a few minutes use. I have some Abranet, and I need to try it again, though, as obviously it seem to work out better for a lot of folks.

Pollock29

I am new to pen turning so please forgive my ignorance. I do not know what "turning between center " means. Would someone be so kind to explain? Thanks!

jttheclockman

I am new to pen turning so please forgive my ignorance. I do not know what "turning between center " means. Would someone be so kind to explain? Thanks!

Welcome to the site Doug and hope you get a chance to look around and tell us a little about yourself and give us some idea as to your skil level and tools and lathe you are using. Have you turned pens before and are you familar with the lathe at all?? We have to ask because people can go on and explain this and we have no idea if you understand the jargon and we waste our time. I have my doubts because you are asking this question as your very first post. I mean this with no disrespect so please do not take it that way. We like to help all members new and old codgers like me. I highly suggest the look around pat and get to learn the search function which is very good on our new site. Just type in words such as between centers and a whole slew of threads will come up with those words in it.

To show you I mean no ill will I will briefly give you highlights of this term but remember there is so much more to it and it would take pages to explain. I will leave that to others if they choose.

"Turn between centers" simply means you use a dead center in the head stock and live center in the tailstock and they are a 65degree tool. Then you place the blank(one at a time) in between these "centers" and support it with either bushings designed to accept the 65 degree centers or just the tube itself which requires a touch to do. Then turned down the blank and use a set of calipers to get you to size of components needed. That is as basic as I will go into it and if any of the terms in this you do not understand then no sense going on. without knowing you this is tough to answer so again give us some background and we go from there and again welcome. to the sight.

jttheclockman

A tiny correction so Pollock29 doesn't try to hunt down centres with that angle John. The angle is 60Âş. ;)
Pete you are so right. Have no idea where 65 came from. It was before the first cup of coffee. Said it twice too.:):) I can no longer edit it so will go with this. Good catch. I have not been getting much sleep lately. I am on a skunk hunting expedition at home here. Caught 3 and going after the grand daddy of all skunks. he is elusive though.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Pete you are so right. Have no idea where 65 came from. It was before the first cup of coffee. Said it twice too.:):) I can no longer edit it so will go with this. Good catch. I have not been getting much sleep lately. I am on a skunk hunting expedition at home here. Caught 3 and going after the grand daddy of all skunks. he is elusive though.
Been wonderin' about your backyard skunk expedition. Let us know when you get the grand daddy! Would love to read that story!

jttheclockman

Been wonderin' about your backyard skunk expedition. Let us know when you get the grand daddy! Would love to read that story!
I will take his photo. He is one smart skunk. Not if I was shooting them though. Also caught a possum and stray cat. Deer walked by and he was not phased at all.

Woodchipper

#2- I clean mine with cold running water and an old toothbrush. I keep it wet by keeping it in a plastic cold cut tray. Add water if needed.

Pollock29

Thank you so much for this answer. I take no offense as I am a newbie! I am just getting started in woodturning, and pens as well. I had just found this forum, but was waiting for clearance so I could post. I had been searching around the site, seeing all the great info available.
I am a retired firefighter/paramedic for 11 years now. I do a lot of home repairs for people, most of which involve extensive woodwork. I am expanding my shop and my interest has become learning pen turning. I have bought a Grizzly 16" lathe, but have not even had time to set it up yet for my work. I guess I should keep my thought to myself and just listen, that way I can learn from the masters! I actually did know this term, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was, so I asked my question in haste.
Thank you for your answer and I will be posting some of my work once I begin.
Be blessed!

jttheclockman

Thank you so much for this answer. I take no offense as I am a newbie! I am just getting started in woodturning, and pens as well. I had just found this forum, but was waiting for clearance so I could post. I had been searching around the site, seeing all the great info available.
I am a retired firefighter/paramedic for 11 years now. I do a lot of home repairs for people, most of which involve extensive woodwork. I am expanding my shop and my interest has become learning pen turning. I have bought a Grizzly 16" lathe, but have not even had time to set it up yet for my work. I guess I should keep my thought to myself and just listen, that way I can learn from the masters! I actually did know this term, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was, so I asked my question in haste.
Thank you for your answer and I will be posting some of my work once I begin.
Be blessed!
I know we are now hijacking the OP's thread but it all blends together like fine wine.:)
Being a firefighter there are some real cool themed pens that firefighters love to get as gifts or give as gifts. Here is a couple I did.
The thin red line theme and also the maltese cross inlay on a firefighters kit.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0154.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0154.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Copy of IMGP0157.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0157.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 145

TonyL

I hear you on the Abranet thing, but I'm not there yet. It lasts longer, for sure, but I'm still preferring bulk rolls of quality conventional and being able to rip off a fresh two inch strip... and then discarding it when after a few minutes use. I have some Abranet, and I need to try it again, though, as obviously it seem to work out better for a lot of folks.
As I wrote above I use both - but primarily Abranet. I cut small squares less than an inch x inch and use it just one (twice rarely). I like to use "fresh" sandpaper. I feel (atleast psychologically) that I am enjoying the abrasive/anti-clogging qualities of the Abranet with the economy of the AO rolls (which I buy whenever they are 50% off).

pshrynk

Penn State sell a TBC chuck set that hold regular mandrel bushings. I have been using it and feel that it works quite well. YMMV. Biggest problem I have with it is the vacuum platform i have doesn't fit as well as I'd like when TBC.

WriteON

HiJack continues. FF pen.

Attachments

• AA428D63-1AEE-4275-8A77-D1A1A257A2C7.jpeg
    AA428D63-1AEE-4275-8A77-D1A1A257A2C7.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 128
  • E5448348-9228-4DC4-ACD0-0DFE04F0D8CB.jpeg
    E5448348-9228-4DC4-ACD0-0DFE04F0D8CB.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 102

Curly

Hey, am I missing something? Should I use CA glue after turning and polishing acrylic blanks? I end up buffing and get a great shine. Does the CA protect the pen finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

The only reason for using CA on acrylic blanks is to correct flaws and mistakes. Filling a bubble in the blank or if you overturned it slightly. You can build it up with the CA.

Top Bottom