First try at segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

Built a jig that will do 45, and 60 degree Celtic knots and scallops, cut thin strips for segments and make 90 deg cuts. Seems like it's important that everything needs to be meticulously cut and centered for the scallops to be equally sized. It's also handy for squarely shaving CA glue and veneers vs using the belt sander.

Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated.

Same pen, just different lighting.

tyJoUYyl.jpg

WdITOwcl.jpg

dMceO8Fl.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's your 1st? :eek:

That's better than any segmented pen I've done. Greta job! :good: Now, I don't do a ton of segmenting, but even so, your work looks like someone who's done it for years. And you're right, getting the scallops even requires perfect cuts, and drilling. In fact it's important for every aspect of segmenting.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice jig - it will serve you well.

The segmenting is also excellent. My only suggestion is the next time don't cut/flip the middle section. Just me, but I would have liked to see it as a complete section.

But, excellent work.

ramaroodle

Very nice jig - it will serve you well.

The segmenting is also excellent. My only suggestion is the next time don't cut/flip the middle section. Just me, but I would have liked to see it as a complete section.

But, excellent work.

Thanks.

Agreed. I only did that cuz I wanted to see how the blank would hold up to drilling if I cut it and glued it back together because I want to try reversing the ends and also do a medallion or a knot in the middle (like the pic below done by
watch
) but I gotta improve my technique. Still not ready for prime time but i figure it is something that people will buy once I get it right. Trying to build an inventory by Christmas but after peeking in at a couple of shows I realize I need to up my game.
pLvxyvDm.jpg

This isn't really a pen. It's the executive pen kit I use then disassemble and turn back down to the tube when I'm trying something new. I've probably used that tube 10 times. I did a couple of others before this but this one is the only one that was mildly presentable. With the solid stripe down the middle it is perfect for engraving.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Excellent! Every time I think of making a segmented blank, I see something like yours and hesitate to match that quality and appearance. My complements!

ramaroodle

Somehow the link was missing. Gotta give credit where credit is due. The 2 pens above are by Gabe Castro. They are not mine, but what I aspire to.

That's your 1st? :eek:

Actually it's the first one I'd dare to post. There is a small pile of scraps laying around. :biggrin:

Last edited:

jfoh

If you leave a thin strip of wood above the cut you will not have the shift in lines that many have. I leave about 1/16 to 3/32 of wood intact. Glue my strips of wood in the saw cut and make another cut. You will think the strips of wood do not go through all the way but once you turn the blank round they are perfect and there is not shift from gluing issues or from saw cut being thicker than the strips of wood inserted into them.

ramaroodle

Oh thanks. That sounds like an important detail but I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you please explain what you do?

SmokeGSU

Built a jig that will do 45, and 60 degree Celtic knots and scallops, cut thin strips for segments and make 90 deg cuts. Seems like it's important that everything needs to be meticulously cut and centered for the scallops to be equally sized. It's also handy for squarely shaving CA glue and veneers vs using the belt sander.

Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated.

Same pen, just different lighting.

tyJoUYyl.jpg

WdITOwcl.jpg

dMceO8Fl.jpg

Do you have plans for this setup that you went off of? I can sort of see what you're doing here. I'm hoping to create a wedgie slide in the near future for segmented turning.

ramaroodle

Built a jig that will do 45, and 60 degree Celtic knots and scallops, cut thin strips for segments and make 90 deg cuts.

Do you have plans for this setup that you went off of? I can sort of see what you're doing here. I'm hoping to create a wedgie slide in the near future for segmented turning.

Sorry. No plans. Just kind of made it up as I went along, however I did make a few improvements. On the upper left is a spacer made of aluminum track that allows me to cut repeatable thin strips down to 1/64" depending on the wood being used. This comes in handy when cutting veneer to insert into the groove made by the saw blade when making knots. I also added a clear blade guard as small chips are sometimes directed at my face. I also replaced the hinged clamp as my DIY aluminum clamps seem to work better and also lower the profile of the jig. Biggest drawback of this jig is that the table saw blade eats up a lot more stock vs using the bandsaw but that is a trade off I'm willing to make for accuracy and repeatability. As you can probably see the setup on the lower left allows me to easily switch between the 65 and 45 degree angles. I made a wedgie slide based on this video by Gabe Castro however I haven't used it yet. I really like the look of thin aluminum as the outer layer of the veneer sandwich but am having a hard time getting the CA to consistantly stick to the aluminum securely even after sanding it to roughen it up.

EDIT - Someone in another thread just suggested I use epoxy. Makes sense.

GUoj00Ol.jpg

nwruSbwl.jpg

2Ed7DwOl.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom