First Three Pens... Sorta.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RyanS

RyanS

Attached are my first three pens since taking my six-year break! Based on what I just ordered, these should be my last pens from a mandrel and a misaligned tailstock.

First is an elegant sierra with a feather blank from one of our members.
Second is a premier cigar with ebony.
Third is a slimline with cocobolo. You may notice the tip of the ink refill sticking out just a hair on this one. My CA dried while I still had an eighth of an inch exposed, so the nib-side barrel is a smidge shorter than planned.

Critique is welcome!

83368942-6721-4648-BC6A-EEA1D7201E30.jpeg
E61DD51F-4EB7-4B10-8523-04E670DC0C25.jpeg
464EAD54-A7B7-4A10-A0D6-E2FB98BA2788.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Well done on all 3, especially the cigar with ebony ...I have a stack of ebony and don't think I've ever turned a pen with it...after seeing yours I believe I'll have to now.

John Eldeen

Good looking set of pens. I like the burn lines in the slimline nice touch. What are you using for a finish? As for your refill issue the slimline kit is very forgiving when assembling put the refill in when you you install the transmission. Then press it in stopping regularly to extend the refill until the proper amount is exposed. You don't have to press it in to the index mark. Happy turning and keep up the good work.

RyanS

Well done on all 3, especially the cigar with ebony ...I have a stack of ebony and don't think I've ever turned a pen with it...after seeing yours I believe I'll have to now.

Thanks very much. My blank was covered in wax, and drilling got so hot that the wax all melted on the outside. Beware!

Thanks for showing ... nice work !!!

I appreciate it!

Good looking set of pens. I like the burn lines in the slimline nice touch. What are you using for a finish? As for your refill issue the slimline kit is very forgiving when assembling put the refill in when you you install the transmission. Then press it in stopping regularly to extend the refill until the proper amount is exposed. You don't have to press it in to the index mark. Happy turning and keep up the good work.

Thank you, and good idea on the assembly process. I'm still using HUT crystal coat (I think that's the name), and it has a "best if used by" date of June 2009. Need to graduate to CA finish!

John Eldeen

Thank you, and good idea on the assembly process. I'm still using HUT crystal coat (I think that's the name), and it has a "best if used by" date of June 2009. Need to graduate to CA finish!
The finish looks good I only use CA on my pens because that is what I am comfortable with that does not mean it is the right finish every time. There are some blanks that would look better if there wasn't a coat of plastic on it. IMO

Alan Morrison

6 years away hasn't done your turning any harm.
I prefer the look of your finish to a CA finish, they are more natural looking. ( IMHO )
Alan

Top Bottom