First Thread--But have been reading.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

This is my first thread, but I have reading this site for quite a while now. I have been turning pens for several years now. Since joining the site I have learned SO much! Reading the threads from all the "characters" is great. The collective knowledge in this site is beyond belief. As Butch once pointed out, by using the search tool you can answer so many questions. That is why I have not had to thread yet....there is almost too much to absorb.

I have made hundreds of pens, in many styles but I feel like a rank amatuer after reading your threads. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

I do have a question....my neighbor, after I have made him several pens has given me a HF buffer. This thing operates at 3700 rpm....It has two different buffer heads on it. I purchased a router speed control to slow it down, which only takes all it's power away and was a waste of $50. Is this thing useful for anything? I am afraid it just takes off the ren wax I put on!

By the way, I have been a Professional Photogragher now for 32 years. I have always been impressed with the quality of photographs posted here. The lighting tents recommended for use are straight out of what I learned the Photo Institute I attended. ( I think---that was quite a few years ago) Good job to all!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

OK, Michael...

Professional Photographer + hundreds of pens ought to equal some PICTURES! Let's see some of your pens.

Oh, and welcome.

-Barry

snyiper

Yes be careful of the hard buff wheels they will strip it all off in a flash if you are heavy handed...go for nice fluffy flannel!!

moke

I did read that thread about the Canton buffs...it was kind of hard to follow. I may of missed something, but I thought the 3450 or 3700 rpm or whatever the speed is was suggested to be used just for metal.

I guess what my real question is ---should I spend any more money on it and get the Canton buffs? I was trying to get away from buying the Beall system if I could use a dedicated machine...not trying to go cheap but Lordy...this can get expensive.

Thanks for that advice mredburn----
M

fiferb

I would also add that using a buffing system on Renwax is probably over doing it. Renwax will take a high shine with only a lint free cloth and is only designed as protective coating and not a finish.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Michael,

Welcome! Glad to have you here. Mark Ligget does some great pens and it is my understanding that he does his photography outside on a cloudy day - or at least some. His photos are outstanding!

Post some picts of your work. We would love to see them!

I know you are experienced and do not need the following but we offer these links to everyone who joins, therefore we don't want to leave you out.

Here are links to some threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom