First Snakeskin Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickbw

After casting several lots of pen blanks, I received my silicon molds and decided to try my first attempt at snakeskins.

Everything went fine including the vacuum and pressure process.

However today, when I cut thru the cork and got the blanks to almost the right length, I then "unplugged" the remaining cork. Unfortunately I find the resin has actually gotten inside the barrel and the BBs are cast to the barrel. I was able to break thru to get the most of the BBs out, but still had several "resined" to the sides. I attempted to old the blank in a drill press and drill them loose, but ended up twisting the whole barrel in the resin (first ruined snakeskin attempt!:( ).

Well, I have three more and don't want to waste anymore, so I figured I would ask here for any advice.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Thx,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

You have now been initiated into the Fraternal Order of Snake Skin Casters! You have several other steps(pitfalls) in your initiation before you become a full fledged member.[:D][}:)] Shall I tell you what they are, or let you discover them? I did a mold full of cigars this week and they were all ruined. They would be good for practice if anyone wants to practice on some goofs. The skin is so frosty and silvery that I can't even stand to look at them. Woops, I just told you of another pitfall. I'll keep the others a secret and maybe you'll never experience them.

I've started using lead shot for reloading shotgun shells...it drills easier than steels BBs. But, if the bit catches just once, then it spins the tube inside the resin...you learned that. I actually glue in the cork with CA and that has helped. I still have a tube get filled with resin from time to time. You could coat the inside of the tube with a coat of mineral oil, PAM, or something similar to keep the resin from sticking if it does leak in. I've started casting at 30 psi which has helped quite a bit....30psi seems to do just as good as higher pressures.

I do like the silicone molds. Their cost was well worth it for me. The savings in resin will soon pay for the cost of the molds. I cast 4 sets of barons with about 8 oz of resin instead of doing 6 sets with 16 oz. Thanks Gadget for making them available.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by rickbw
<br />After casting several lots of pen blanks, I received my silicon molds and decided to try my first attempt at snakeskins.

Everything went fine including the vacuum and pressure process.

However today, when I cut thru the cork and got the blanks to almost the right length, I then "unplugged" the remaining cork. Unfortunately I find the resin has actually gotten inside the barrel and the BBs are cast to the barrel. I was able to break thru to get the most of the BBs out, but still had several "resined" to the sides. I attempted to old the blank in a drill press and drill them loose, but ended up twisting the whole barrel in the resin (first ruined snakeskin attempt![:(] ).

Well, I have three more and don't want to waste anymore, so I figured I would ask here for any advice.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Thx,

rickbw

Don,

Well, I guess there is no magic bullet here. Unfortunately, I am hooked [:)]. I truly enjoy the casting process and making my own blanks - each one comes out unique and I can say "I made it from scrach". The molds from Gadget are terrific and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking to get into casting.

I will try your advice for the snakeskins and sooner or later will get it right!

Thanks for all of your advice and knowledge you share with the group!!! I have learned more from this forum than all others combined [:D][:D]!!

mrplace

Here is what I started doing, because I felt like the pressure was forcing the resin through the cork. After plugging the endsand glueing in the cork, I soak the cork with thin CA. For me, this has cut down on the amount of tubes filled with PR.

Just my $.02 worth.[:)]

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
For me, since I started degasing with ultrasonics and lowered casting pressure to 5-10psi, I have no bubbles and haven't had resin in a tube in a long while. Try lower pressure.

JimGo

Have you considered using a layer of vaseline just inside the rim of the tube? if you leave a little space, you could still have a clean surface for attaching the cork, while providing a good seal inside the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom