First Post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ttpenman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttpenman

I've been reading this site for some time but just signed up the other day. Shot a few photos today and started an album. They need a little more work but I wanted to get some posted. This one is a piece of Spalted Beech.

All my wood is old growth timber that is salvaged from underwater. Been underwater for over 100 years. For me the wood is everything, my pens are basic in style but the wood makes them pretty nice.

Really looking forward to seeing the IAP develop.

Jeff

Image Insert:
200461423021_BEECH2B.jpg

80.97KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

debturnswood

if you dont mind my asking, how do you salvage the wood and date it, not doubting you, curious to learn. thanks for sharing. It is a gorgeous pen

ttpenman

The logs are located with side scan sonar, brought up by divers usually using winches and barges. It is brought to shore and loaded on trucks or railcars and sent to the mill.

Dating is usually done by checking historical data as to sawmills in the area where the logs are recovered. Showing a mill operation in the area 75+ years ago pretty much confirms that the logs have been underwater from that era. Many logs still have mill marks on them which confirms where they were headedwhen they became waterlogged.

Because of low oxygen content and temperature logs do not decay while underwater.

Hope that helps.

melchioe

I've read about salvage operations for that kind of wood before, usually on the Great Lakes - can you share a source for the wood? I might like to try some sometime... Is it pricey?

ttpenman

The wood came from Timeless Timber in Ashland, Wisconsin. They don't sell pen blanks, only lumber, so you would have to cut your own. A little pricey. You can request a price list from sales@timelesstimber.com Domestic hardwoods only, no exotics. Maple, Birch, Oak, some others.

debturnswood

Jeff, thanks for taking the time to explain about salvaged wood. I had no idea that sort of thing went on. Your work is terrific! now not only will the beautiful pens grab attention, but you have quite an interesting story to tell along with it. DO you ever sell blanks from the timber you purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom