First lidded box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Here's my first attempt at lidded boxes. Walnut that I salvaged from a tree down in hurrican Isabel, with a bit of spalting. I've got to say, I am loving my new General Lathe!!

Comments/critiques welcome!!

20061214454_firstlid2.jpg

200612144517_firstlid3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Very nice! I love walnut and also use a lot of hurricane-supplied trees (we live on the Gulf coast), but we don't have any walnut native around here. Amazing what a new lathe will do for your creative juices[8D]

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Looks nice Dave

How about some specs?
How does the underside of the lid and base look?

It's about 3 1/4" tall with the knob. about 4" in diameter. The underside of the lid is pretty rough, I didn't take into acount that after I take it off the faceplate, put the chuck in the recess, and turn the shape of the top, I won't be able to go back and re-turn the inside of the top. Oh, well, live and learn. I just finished another one, and this time both bottoms look good.

Doghouse

Dave, use the pin jaws wrapped in rubber to grip the knob. Bring your tailstock up to hold it in place. Turn the inside of the lid clean then sand / carve the the nub from the tailstock off.

Other than that, nice job.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Dave, use the pin jaws wrapped in rubber to grip the knob. Bring your tailstock up to hold it in place. Turn the inside of the lid clean then sand / carve the the nub from the tailstock off.

Other than that, nice job.
I don't have the pin jaws, John, but thanks for reminding me of yet another tool I don't have/have to have and have to buy!! But I'm sure that I could do that same thing with the spigot jaws...

When I turn a box I glue blocks on each end and develop my basic outside shape. I then part off the top and turn and finish both the inside of the bottom. Now, I place the top in a chuck and turn and finish the inside. Then I re-chuck the bottom of the box and use it as a jam chuck to turn and finish the top and bottom at the same time. This requires a tight fitting tenon on the lid. If the top is a little too lose I use a sheet or two of paper to tighten up the fit. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Dave, the pin/spigot are the same thing. Just wrap them with a non slip soft surface.
Ahh, I get it... Wait, I have an idea. I can turn a deep recess in the bottom of the top for the spigot chuck, then expand it into that, and that should give me more room in the box. I have to try that tomorrow. I just hate changing out the jaws on my SuperNova. I need to get another chuck one of these days, maybe a Titan???

Woodnknots

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />Nice job... and a real nice piece of wood!
Thanks, I've made three of them now, out of the same bit of walnut, and I only have enough for 1-2 more. After that I think I'm going to try the 16/4 African Mahogony that I recently acquired. They are a lot of fun to make, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom