First laser engraved pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodwzrd

woodwzrd

I have been away from my lathe for the better part of three years for various reasons and have recently rekindled my fire for turning. During my time away I didn't realize how much I missed it. I also recently bought a Neje Master 3500 laser engraver and have been playing with various materials and fonts and what not. A couple weeks ago I had a friend reach out to me and ask if I could make a pen for her and engrave her name on it and this is what I ended up with. It is a Smittys Classic Roller ball kit that I traded for a long time ago on here with what I believe is some kind of rosewood that I have had for quite some time as well. The engraving is just single line text done without a rotary jig but I plan to purchase a jig in the every near future and look forward to diving deeper into this new rabbit hole.
Megs pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Looks good. What was your burn time and were you able to do it in a single pass? Did you color or backfill the name of simply apply your finish over it.

woodwzrd

Looks good. What was your burn time and were you able to do it in a single pass? Did you color or backfill the name of simply apply your finish over it.
I burned it at 60% power and 35 ms in a single pass. Total burn time was only about 3-4 minutes. No back-fill. I put 4 coats of thin CA on it then just burned it and then finished with about 8 coats of medium CA.

Top Bottom