First Kitless Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chief TomaToe

Chief TomaToe

So after quite a bit of research, and some hands on training from a very gracious fellow pen turner, I finally finished my first kitless pen! It definitely doesn't look like much, and there are many boo-boos on this pen, but I am awfully proud of this one. I couldn't have done it without all the knowledge here on this forum. It was stressful during pretty much the whole process, but it was very satisfying to put it all together at the end.

It is made from acrylic, Japanese ebonite section, and a #6 Jowo nib. The acrylic turned out to be quite a bit more see-through than I anticipated, so it looks like I'll need to figure out a way to polish the inside of the pen!

Comments and critique welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_103841.jpg
    IMG_20191013_103841.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20191013_110254_276.jpg
    IMG_20191013_110254_276.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief TomaToe

Thank you for the compliment! The cap to body threads are 13x.75mm. I could have definitely made the pen thinner, but I didn't want to push my luck so far in the process. I'll definitely make a slimmer profile more to my tastes next time.
Great work !!! ..... What threads did you use for cap-to-body ?

Chief TomaToe

These are single start threads. The tap and die came in a set for $20 from some place on Amazon. I figured I would give it a shot to see if I would like it before I bought the expensive triple start set. But, just like everything else in this hobby, you end up spending a lot of money anyways!
Thanks for the 13 x .75 thread info.

Are they single threads ? . Or maybe double start, or triple start ?

Pierre---

Good start, kitless is fun!
May I add a comment? For the next one, push your luck :) and make the pen thinner: on the barrel the step theads/outer surface is too important, for the eyes and for the fingers. My taste of course.
Or use a M14 to reduce the step.

Top Bottom