first casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

Tonight I tried my very first casting.Using alumilite and some of the dye.I mixed red and a little blue and got a very nice looking purple.I was very pleased with my first attempt although it does have some pitting due to air bubbles.I have a vacuum pump out of an auto a/c machine it will pull a nice vacuum,but with this stuff is there enough time to get it into a pot and pull a vacuum?It cures extremely fast.I had it turned an hour after pouring.I am sure some other newbie has asked the same question so sorry,but any input would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

That big guy uses pressure but not vacuum...alumilite needs 60psi if I remember correctly. That big alumilite caster is Curtis Seebeck...by big you mean he does lots of casting and were not referring to his physical size [:0], right :D...
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by toolcrazy

For casting you want pressure, not vacume. If I remember right, a big alumilite caster here dosen't use either.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Hey Don, I am a pretty big guy, not as big as you but 6'2" and 210 would still be considered big I think!

On Topic: Yes, I am a big Alumilite caster and I only use pressure. Don is not quite right on the pressure required, though. I think Alumilite recommends 30-40 psi but I have had it work on straight resin blanks as low as 25. I have not tried lower since I am all set up for higher pressure and I do not do any tube in casting. (The only reason I see to use lower pressure is reduce the chance of resin getting into the tubes when casting tube in.) I do all of my casting with items embedded or to fill "Worthless Wood". In this case I want as high pressure as I can get to make the resin get into all the tiniest cracks and crevices.

Vacuum for Alumilite is a waste of time, IMO. You do not have enough time to pull the vacuum and then release and get into a pressure pot before it starts to go off and degassing the unmixed parts does not seem to be worth the extra step. I just try to mix carefully to minimize air entrainment and then put it under pressure and that is it. If you have more questions, feel free to send me a PM and I would be happy to send you my phone number.

its_virgil

But I'm catching up(down) with you on weight. I've lost 60 lbs since we last saw each other. You're and inch taller but I'm now only 35 lbs heavier than you. I hope to catch up(down) with you on wt soon.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by MesquiteMan

Hey Don, I am a pretty big guy, not as big as you but 6'2" and 210 would still be considered big I think!

rdunn12

Understood about the pressure vacuum thing,makes sense now.Tried a second casting with some loofa sponge because I had some just lying around.I only put about 3 drops of red dye in it too see what would happen.Well I have got the pinkest blank I have ever seen.I mean girly pink.With the sponge in it,it looks like marble kind of,and the alumilite I have is not the clear kind I guess.Overall I am impressed with this stuff.Ron.

TBone

Originally posted by MesquiteMan

I have not tried lower since I am all set up for higher pressure and I do not do any tube in casting........I do all of my casting with items embedded or to fill "Worthless Wood". would be happy to send you my phone number.

Curtis, you do your cactus blanks without tubes and then drill them? I would never have guessed that.

Top Bottom