First cast with Horse Hair / question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daveeisler

I am about to do my first cast very much like and inspired by MesquiteMan's fishing line, but I will be using horse hair,I am using the Penn State cast kit for a couple of reasons, first this is what Barry Gross uses and I have seen his pens in person , also he sells it and for less money, I like the idea that MesquiteMan uses in that he put's the hair/fish line in the mold and after it's cured he then drills and inserts the pen tube, my question is , after it's been turned down there will be hair/fish line poking out on the surface,I plan on using a coat of CA gle and re-turn it again,I would love to hear comments and suggestions for me and those who are also interested here. Thanks Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Usually there is plenty of encapsulation in the resin that you will not have a problem at all. That said, I always turn it to finished size, ready to be sanded, and then I flood it with thin CA so that it will wick into any small cracks or voids that might be left. I hit this with acceletrator and then use the skew like a scraper and turn it back smooth. Then sand and finish as usual with a CA finish to make sure it is all covered. That is my method and it seems to work.

daveeisler

Curtis,Thanks for the tip and the idea, the hair is from a horse my wife and I have had for almost twenty years, I hope I don't screw up and I will post results and even give you a call too.all the best to you and all pen turners here.

daveeisler

Curtis,I followed your directions and I keep taking the CA off to the point where the hair comes thru again,even my last shot of CA and just sanding it without scraping, maybe I should try thicker CA

Top Bottom