First Cast Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

imagine

I tried my first cast over the weekend using the PR from hobby lobby and added some polyester glitter to add some color. The blanks came out fine although a little brittle, but when I turned one there were milky white areas in the resin. What is the culprit? Old PR? Air bubbles? Design opportunity? ;)

Thanks

Fred

As I see no other answer(s) has been stated, I would offer you the sugestion that you have trapped moisture in your (1) material added to the casting, or (2) moisture in the atmosphere. Apparently is does not take much moisture at all to ruin a casting.

I would recommend that you have ALL materials at the same temperature. Also be sure that anything added to the resin mixture - flowers, snake skin, etc. - is absolutely dry.

A vacuum will remove air bubbles introduced in the resin as you mix or pour. It is imperative that you DO NOT AGITATE and thus incorporate air into eith the mixture or as you pout.

Fred / Tucker, GA

crashgtr

I have done the same thing with the same results. I am not sure what causes it, I am thinking that they are tiny air bubbles and what the white color is, I cannot say...

When your pen was done, were you able to see the glitter? In the pen I made, there was no evidence of glitter.

Liz

Originally posted by imagine
<br />I tried my first cast over the weekend using the PR from hobby lobby and added some polyester glitter to add some color. The blanks came out fine although a little brittle, but when I turned one there were milky white areas in the resin. What is the culprit? Old PR? Air bubbles? Design opportunity? [;)]

Thanks

Draken

A photo of the white spot may help us determine what the cause is. Also, some glitters dissolve in the PR, you'll need to experiment with different types/brands to find one that won't. The white spot could be the dissolved remnants of your glitter.

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom