Segmenting First Blanks Of New Design.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I'm calling this the "hourglass" blank. I ended up having to make three layer infill, my bandsaw kerf is .048. I tried making the infill right at kerf, but I couldn't get it to bend into shape without breaking. 3 pieces at .015 did the trick and will probably look better too. I thought the glue up might be difficult but I came up with a method that made it very easy.
IMG_1873.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice looking blanks, Ken !!! . Well done, and ... Congratulations on a neat idea !!

It will be interesting to see what happens at the corners as the blanks become rounded.

I have a prediction and I'll tell you what it is if you elaborate (in private conversation) on your own statement, namely:
" I thought the glue up might be difficult but I came up with a method that made it very easy. " ..... LOL

Last edited:

KenB259

Very nice looking blanks, Ken !!! . Well done, and congratulations on a neat idea !!

It will be interesting to see what happens at the corners as the blank becomes rounded.

I have a prediction and I'll tell you what it is if you elaborate (in private conversation) on your own statement, namely:
" I thought the glue up might be difficult but I came up with a method that made it very easy. " ..... LOL

Mal it's not a secret, I just clamped a small piece of plastic over one edge, where the cut out is and that acted like a perfect stop and kept everything aligned. It should look like the example I posted yesterday, except everything should line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

@KenB259

Ken, I know that you are not secretive and I appreciate you sharing your work so generously.
But, the point is that I am not quite sure what will happen in process of rounding .... I am hedging my bets .... LOL !!!! 🙃 :rolleyes: ;)

I REALLY like your design of yesterday ..... https://www.penturners.org/threads/new-design.165971/#post-2084008

..... so chances are REALLY GOOD for today's also !!! :) 😀:p

Last edited:

magpens

It's always a bit of a teeth-clencher ....

And when I see a new design I always wonder what it would look like converted to a three-sided or six-sided blank (in orig. assembly) rather than four-sided, and then turned round. . Maybe folks with more segmentation experience than me can more readily visualize.

To a newcomer, the transition between the four-sided starting point of a Celtic knot blank and the final thing is quite a revelation, and that's before you start thinking about any other variations to the 4-loop knot .... such as 3-loops, 6-loops, and 8-loops.
I can remember my first surprise with regard to the Celtic knot (a long time ago now) was that the diagonal loop starts off as a perfect rectangle, on an angle, of course. . But now, that basic transition is a perfect consequence of 3-dimensional geometry (about which I know virtually nothing even yet, except for cubes and spheres !!). . It is all a VERY FUN learning experience, much of it brought about by the turning process.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ken, Have you turned one of these?
Are you making a large diameter pen?
I think I can see that if it is not large, the corner sections can be turned almost all the way off - If I am correctly seeing how you made it.

KenB259

Ken, Have you turned one of these?
Are you making a large diameter pen?
I think I can see that if it is not large, the corner sections can be turned almost all the way off - If I am correctly seeing how you made it.

Turned a prototype yesterday, didn't make pen of it. I posted it yesterday at .75 diameter. I turned it down , under .400 today and didn't lose any of the design. So I have high hopes for it. I will turn them this week.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks great Ken. I also eagerly wait for the final turning to see what the final design looks like. Very nicely done.

Top Bottom