First attempt at some chevrons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

I was fooling around with doing some chevrons. This is my first attempt.
I used purple heart, red heart and maple for the chevrons.
The body of the blank is Chinese Pistache that was salvaged from some trees the city cut down 8-10 years ago. It is very hard like a hard maple.
I used some curly maple for the accent rings sandwiched between some black veneer.
This is rough turned . I hope to get it finished over the weekend.
I little shift in the end caps so grain does not line up as nicely as I would have liked. Live and learn.

IMG_0815.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful blank James! At this point, you have a handle on most of the skills for the chevrons. And you are aware of the small tweaks that you know are there, but most won't notice from 12"-18" away.

Your precision to pair the segment slices is excellent. Anyone who does these will understand the difficulty to match the points. I also like that the lower chevron point meets the veneers, and the upper chevron point wings meet the veneers. Nice placement!

Now you need to play with modifying the dimensions and interior veneers. Yes it will add difficulty in getting the sections aligned, but well worth the design appeal. Then work your ways to a 4 sided blank ;) .

I love seeing others play with these.

And your veneer stack - beautiful!!!

jjjaworski

Thanks for the encouragement Mark.

This blank will be going on a Blade Clicker so building it this way takes the stress out of drilling a long hole in a blank.

I did have a couple of small issues with varied thickness on some of my steps when I glued up the chevron block. But for ripping on a table saw it happens .

It is noticeable on some of the intersections of the chevrons.

jttheclockman

You are well on your way to becoming an expert at these. Takes some doing but once you get the idea of the procedure then it becomes easier. Keep at it. The shy is the limit.

Totally excellent! If this is your first attempt I can't wait to see when you get "better".
I really like the choices you made in materials. And the scale of the segments seems spot on.
Well done!
(by the way, if you're getting attaboys from Mark, you're doing darn good)

Top Bottom