First attempt at casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

Inspired by Ken B, I followed suit and built a simple HDPE mold, bought epoxy casting resin and mica powder pigment from Hobby Lobby and used some "junk" wood pieces to make a couple blanks, one of which I turned into a Celtic pen. The end result is encouraging, but not something I would give to a friend or try to sell.

If you look close at the photo of the cast resin block, you can see what looks like broken off toothpicks (because that's what they are). After I poured the epoxy into the mold, the chunks of wood kept trying to float up to the top, so I fashioned a crude lid with 4 toothpicks sticking out, and placed the lid onto the mold. The toothpicks kept the chunks submerged, but I failed to remove the lid before the epoxy set up, so I had to break off the toothpicks. Also, I coated the HDPE with paste wax (car wax), which worked beautifully.

It seems like 90%+ of the epoxy winds up in the garbage, but it's fun to try new things.

IMG_0497.jpg IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0513.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stubach

Nicely done!!! What resin did you use? I love the translucent look of the resin. I have that same kit that my wife has been waiting for me to make for her but she picked a blank at Rockler for it.

as a tip I learned from NVWoodworks and Bens Worx (on YouTube) you can hit glue the wood down to the bottom of mold before casting to keep the wood from floating.

Joebobber

When my wife first started her blanks always looked terrible, until they were turned. Plus I'd rather have a blank that looked great after I turned it over a blank that only looked good before i turned it anyday.

Kcimdrib

Great effort I have never tried to cast I can make enough mess glueing wood together with CA etc.
But I like it a lot.

KMCloonan

Nicely done!!! What resin did you use? I love the translucent look of the resin. I have that same kit that my wife has been waiting for me to make for her but she picked a blank at Rockler for it.

as a tip I learned from NVWoodworks and Bens Worx (on YouTube) you can hit glue the wood down to the bottom of mold before casting to keep the wood from floating.
I used Amazing Clear Cast resin and Pearl Ex pigment powder (which gives the translucent look).

IMG_0536.JPG

Thanks for the tip to glue the wood down.

Kenny Durrant

I think the pen looks Great. As mentioned the blank might look a little rough but you not selling blanks so it the final product that counts. If you want to sell blanks you just need a couple of tweaks and your there. Your off to a Great Start.

KenB259

Turned out very nice and I'm glad I was an inspiration. I enjoyed my little experiment enough that I decided to get into casting a little deeper.

KMCloonan

Turned out very nice and I'm glad I was an inspiration. I enjoyed my little experiment enough that I decided to get into casting a little deeper.
LOL - I already bought a 4-blank silicone mold, and will experiment some more. I don't know if I would ever go as far as buying a pressure pot and all that. I'm about knee-deep in the rabbit hole, and don't think I want to jump in all the way šŸ˜

Bats

Always another rabbit hole to go into, very well done.
I read that line twice, and somehow both times I came up with "another rabbi hole", and wondered what sort of analogy that was. Must be derived from the lesser-known parable of the burrowing rabbi. Or maybe the one about the rabbi carpenter and his drill.

Might be time to get my eyes checked.

Or maybe just my brain.

Alchemist

For a first try, that is a great job! Amazing clear Cast works well for casting pens. Also, if you're not using a pressure pot, if mixed slowly and with care, minimizes bubbles. It turns very nicely on the lathe. I use it for a lot of projects.
your pen came out lovely! That is a great green!

Top Bottom