First Attempt at Casting...(Long and lots of pics)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

After reading everything I could find on casting blanks I decided to take a stab at it. Hopefully I did it right, if I didn't, please let me know.

I built a HF pressure/vacuum pot a while back follow direction posted here on this site ... thanks for the help. I also built a vibrating table yesterday that is large enough to set the pot on in hopes that it would help get rid of the bubbles and also allow the resin to work into the material better.

I want to try and cast some feathers so I got into my fly tying gear and found some peacock herls that I figured would work. I painted a brass pen tube black and turned some plugs for it and hot glued it all to a small piece of aluminum that was mounted to a vice.
IMG_0409.jpg

I took 3 herls and tied it off to one of the plugs, wrapped it around the tube and tied it off on the other end.
IMG_0411.jpg

I did this a few times and decided it was going to take all night so I started using about a dozen herls at a time, it went much faster. I kept wrapping until the tube was completely covered.
IMG_0412.jpg

I pulled it off the plate and cleaned it up with some scissors... It don't look too bad.
IMG_0413.jpg

I made a mold using some sheetmetal and aluminum tape.
IMG_0414.jpg

and stuck in the blank. A little hot glue on the plugs held it in place.
IMG_0415.jpg

I poured some clear resin into a mixing container and stuck it in the vacuum pot. I pulled a vacuum on it for a few minute while it was sitting on the vib table.
IMG_0419.jpg

I took the resin container out of the pot and set it on the vib table and mixed in the catalyst. The vibrating table seemed to work great. Any bubbles I could see while mixing would float right to the top. After mixing I set the mold on the table and slowly poured in the resin. Then I stuck the mold in the pressure pot and put it under 60 lbs pressure and vibed it until it set up.

After it cured I took it out of the mold and looked for bubbles, couldn't see any :)
IMG_0421.jpg

I popped out the plugs and mounted it to the lathe. This is the first time I have turned anything other than wood and I was quite pleased at how easy it turned and sanded. I gave it a couple coats of CA and hit it with the buffer.

The finish looks great but I am not real thrilled with the way the blank looks. The feathers really darkened up, but overall I am happy with the way the casting turned out. I learned a lot and I look forward to trying out some other materials.
IMG_0422.jpg

Thanks for reading .. Sorry the post was so long.

Happy Turning,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Great results for a first casting. You should have seen my first attempt. We wont go there right now.
Nice job. The important thing is you are learning as you go. The results get better as you go.
Have fun and don't be afraid to experiment.

txbatons

Wow. I'm impressed. I've also been watching the casting threads in hopes that I'll give it a go at some point in the future. I like the vibrating table. I think a lot of folks would be interested in that.

About the peacock feathers...do you have any thoughts of casting eyes? I have some peacock feathers that I'd like to have cast for gifts.

Shane

Thanks for the comments everyone ... I appreciate them.

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher
<br />How did you make the vibrating table?
I will take some pics of it tonight when I get off work and post them here.

Originally posted by txbatons
<br /> ...About the peacock feathers...do you have any thoughts of casting eyes? I have some peacock feathers that I'd like to have cast for gifts...
I too have some eyes I want to cast, just trying to figure out a good way to mount them to a blank. I played around with it a little this weekend and put some thick CA on the tube, laid the eye on a piece of wax paper and then rolled it around the tube. It worked fairly good but the feathers didn't lay right. I will keep playing with it. Anyone else got any suggestions on how to do it?

Originally posted by johncrane
<br />... but the only thing l am not sure about is why you would use BLO on a cast blank ...
Woops, that was a typo. I meant to say CA. I changed it in the original post. Thanks

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom