Fireman’s Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

I posted a picture of one of these earlier and I was asking for suggestions on what to do with the hose material because of its thickness. Sometimes I also have trouble backing up to the basics of pen turning the more advanced I get in the hobby. I figured out that instead of trying to thin the hose in order to cast why cast in the first place. I glued the hose to the tube and then saturated it with CA. That's what I did with soft wood before I got into casting and stabilizing. Then I turned the hose and stopped when necessary to apply more CA. I learned a few new things along the way so the extra hours I spent working on these wasn't all bad. Thanks Again for the input on the previous pen and questions and comments welcome here.
5FFE0D26-836D-4E17-91F8-58D9F3D35BAC.jpeg47B9B7D3-21E7-46CB-8721-9BF611F24B8C.jpeg3E8DF795-1BDE-48B1-8811-4707AFB28E19.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for the compliments. I also figured out one of the problems was that I was adding CA while it was on the lathe with the bushings. Needless to say I had CA buildup on them and I didn't know it until I pressed the second pen together and there was a huge step from the blank to the bushings. I thought I had the wrong bushings. I broke out the mic and I couldn't believe the difference. I looked on Woodcrafts website and saw that they were the correct ones. That's when I figured out the problem. Now that I "Think" I have a system I'm going to try to find a red hose before building the next one.

Top Bottom