Finishing rough CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Managed to salvage a blank with light touches of a skew. However, I applied two coats of medium and four coats of thin CA. Close inspection shows tiny ridges of CA. I don't have a polishing system as some have shown. How do I tackle this final step? I have micro mesh that I could use. Your help is most appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I always have ripples and ridges in my CA so I like to lightly sand over them with 400 or 600 grit so not to go through all the layers, then lightly hit it with extra fine steel wool before micro mesh. Sometime I skip the buffing wheel if I get a nice smooth shine with the Novus plastic polish on the lathe.

gbpens

You can remove CA ridges by a light sanding of 240 sand paper. Thin use 1 or 2 thin coats of CA and polish with micro mesh.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you are proficient with a scraper or radiused carbide insert, turn the lathe to 2500+ and very lightly touch the CA ridges from end to end. Saves a lot of sanding and gives a smoothness from end to end equivalent to about 600 - 800 SP.

A skew will do the same and even better if one is skilled with it.

jttheclockman

If I have ridges then I sand with 1200 to 2000 wet dry sandpaper and then go to MM. Finally put a coat of plastic polish on. Have been doing this for years and works well. There was a rush here about polishing with buffer and all. I tried it on a few pens and saw no significant difference that I do not use a polisher. That is just me. We all find what works best for ourselves over the years and if it works for you then stick with it. Do not fix something that is not broke as they say. If I have to I will drop to 800 grit if large ridges. But never go down to 220 or below 600. That just takes off the CA too fast and you have to start all over in my opinion.

Woodchipper

Thanks. Go through all grits of MM? I have the Hutt polish but that didn't work. Reason I had to go back with acetone, skew and light CA.

Dannv

I start wet sanding at 600 and go to 1200. GO easy or you'll sand right through. Then polish with micromesh to 12000 and use a plastic polish from the4re. Be sure to stop the lathe and sand with the grain between grits. And again, go easy so you don't sand through.

sorcerertd

For what it's worth, I used to have a big problem with ridges. It was because I applied CA in very thick layers. What can I say? I'm still learning patience. Probably will be until I die. Anyway, if the blank is smooth before you apply the CA, it should obviously not end up with ridges in the finish. If you are doing as I was, lighter coats will likely save you from running into this going forward. While it seems like it would take longer to apply more thin coats, in the end it saves time and materials since you aren't scraping half of it off to level it anyway.

This doesn't directly address your current issue, but I switched to GluBoost a while back. It costs a lot more, but am much happier with it. It seems to save me a lot of time and effort and I don't feel that the cost difference per pen is significant enough to matter. Many around here are very proficient and get great results with other brands, but after trying a few, the GluBoost just works best for me since it's specifically designed to be a finish rather than a glue.

JohnU

I second Gluboost. It just works great. I can get about 50 single pens from one can of accelerator. Since I started using it I've never needed to try anything else.

jttheclockman

Just out of curiosity because all I hear is GLUBOOST being so good, what is in it that makes it a finishing CA as opposed to an adhesive and can it be used as an adhesive. If it can be used as an adhesive than what is the difference? Has anyone done any tests and put it against regular CA for wear or any other tests? Who created it? Why are people saying it is so much better than regular CA? Sounds like same amount of work and same amount of coats is applied. What am I missing? Just curious.

JohnU

JT my opinion of Gluboost is based on my experiences using it. I'm not one to say if it's not broke don't fix it, I'm always looking to improve my process and product. I can share my experience with it, but it's probably one of those products you'll have to try in your process to see if it does what you're looking for.

Its been around for years, but before it was known in the pen making world, it was used in the guitar building and repair world, until Mark Dreyer and the owner of the company had a conversation about using it on pens. I was fortunate enough to be included in that trial, which worked great… no acetone in the accelerator to leave blemished or crusty curing, self leveling, flexible hard finish and easy to apply with less time and buildup. My finishes went from taking 30 plus minutes down to less than 10 minutes with the finish I was striving for because it goes on and sets quickly. I've now been using it for year with no issues of its longevity or durability in use. I've had other brands crack over months of use or discolor a bit with age.
Here's what I know about their products… They sell CA for adhesives and for finishing…2 types. I've used both along with most other brands out there. I like their red label "ultra thin" for sealing open pours in wood and cast items like pinecones. The blue label is a fill and finish - thicker for deep fill. The orange label is the "thin" finish for smooth surfaces. I usually apply 4-5 layers and micromesh. I apply both CA and accelerator with the lathe on as low as it goes. That way I use less at a time. I was able to finish 52 Sierra pens with one can of Glu-Dry accelerator.

Their green and red labels are their CA adhesives without the added finishing qualities but the orange and blue also work great for adhesives. They also have whips to attach to the bottles for more precise application in small areas. I've also use their gel glue and black transparent adhesive with great results. I just wish the black was solid black and not transparent but that's just me being lazy because they have master tints for that, which break down in the glue and allow you to add color to things. I've used them and they work great. I just don't do a lot of coloring at the moment.

Here's a link to their site with questions, answers, and videos of it being used.

Like most competitive companies I would not expect them to share "what" they add to make it better than other brands, but here's what they said about the finishing products…

"CA like many other glues "by definition" are very brittle. While the rigidity of a bond can often be a very good attribute, there are circumstances where this can be a negative. Take for example cracks or crevices that will move over time, such as a guitar ding or dent or even an entire wood finish for that matter. While other products leave witness lines, our Fill n' Finish products leave zero to minimal witness lines.

Several years ago, the Gear Up Products lab formulated a process where we added specialized market-specific additives to the formula, giving the product the ability to resist age and temperature changes, as well as impact. As a result, Fill n' Finish Pro Formula and Fill n' Finish Pro Formula Thin were born. Fill n' Finish products are flexible and non creeping so they can be used in areas where CA, and other adhesives have been used before (but now with increased performance and super-clear results), such as to create wood finishes and repair all types of dings and dents. Fill n' Finish is the ideal finisher for ding and dent repair or for entire finishes. It's great for pore filling as well. Use it with GluBoost Glue Dry Accelerator for super-fast finish and repair work with zero to minimal witness lines on any finish."

Last edited:

jttheclockman

JT my opinion of Gluboost is based on my experiences using it. I'm not one to say if it's not broke don't fix it, I'm always looking to improve my process and product. I can share my experience with it, but it's probably one of those products you'll have to try in your process to see if it does what you're looking for.

Its been around for years, but before it was known in the pen making world, it was used in the guitar building and repair world, until Mark Dreyer and the owner of the company had a conversation about using it on pens. I was fortunate enough to be included in that trial, which worked great… no acetone in the accelerator to leave blemished or crusty curing, self leveling, flexible hard finish and easy to apply with less time and buildup. My finishes went from taking 30 plus minutes down to less than 10 minutes with the finish I was striving for because it goes on and sets quickly. I've now been using it for year with no issues of its longevity or durability in use. I've had other brands crack over months of use or discolor a bit with age.
Here's what I know about their products… They sell CA for adhesives and for finishing…2 types. I've used both along with most other brands out there. I like their red label "ultra thin" for sealing open pours in wood and cast items like pinecones. The blue label is a fill and finish - thicker for deep fill. The orange label is the "thin" finish for smooth surfaces. I usually apply 4-5 layers and micromesh. I apply both CA and accelerator with the lathe on as low as it goes. That way I use less at a time. I was able to finish 52 Sierra pens with one can of Glu-Dry accelerator.

Their green and red labels are their CA adhesives without the added finishing qualities but the orange and blue also work great for adhesives. They also have whips to attach to the bottles for more precise application in small areas. I've also use their gel glue and black transparent adhesive with great results. I just wish the black was solid black and not transparent but they have master tints for that, which break down in the glue and allow you to add color to things. I've used them and they work great. I just don't do a lot of coloring at the moment.

Here's a link to their site with questions, answers, and videos of it being used.

Like most competitive companies I would not expect them to share "what" they add to make it better than other brands, but here's what they said about the finishing products…

"CA like many other glues "by definition" are very brittle. While the rigidity of a bond can often be a very good attribute, there are circumstances where this can be a negative. Take for example cracks or crevices that will move over time, such as a guitar ding or dent or even an entire wood finish for that matter. While other products leave witness lines, our Fill n' Finish products leave zero to minimal witness lines.

Several years ago, the Gear Up Products lab formulated a process where we added specialized market-specific additives to the formula, giving the product the ability to resist age and temperature changes, as well as impact. As a result, Fill n' Finish Pro Formula and Fill n' Finish Pro Formula Thin were born. Fill n' Finish products are flexible and non creeping so they can be used in areas where CA, and other adhesives have been used before (but now with increased performance and super-clear results), such as to create wood finishes and repair all types of dings and dents. Fill n' Finish is the ideal finisher for ding and dent repair or for entire finishes. It's great for pore filling as well. Use it with GluBoost Glue Dry Accelerator for super-fast finish and repair work with zero to minimal witness lines on any finish."
Thanks John. Maybe someday I will break down and give it a try. Just have had such success with Hot Stuff CA over the years. I have never run into a cracked CA finish. I do not use accelerator because I just am not in a hurry. I have so much down time for other projects anyway. Pen turning is just not my #1 hobby. I can see if that Gluboost was design in the music industry that it has merit because of all the vibration a guitar generates and other instruments. I am sure some other finish will come along years down the road that is even better. I will check out the links. I like to read. Thanks again.

Woodchipper

JohnU, thanks for the information on GluBoost, etc. My only thing is that is isn't available locally but has to be purchased by mail/PonyExpress/carrier pigeon. Mark has several videos on his website. I plan on watching them. Can't have too much information for penturning.

Top Bottom