Finishing Mica,Acrylic pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark4583

I havent turned any of the Mica or Acrylic type pens yet and was needing to know if theres any diffrence when it comes to turning them and applying a finish?
Thanks

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP. For turning plastics of any kind, I use a round nose scraper, keep it sharp and take light cuts. If you're thinking of using some of that Micaswirl stuff from PSI, I think it's really imperative that you sand off the edges before starting to turn it. I bought five of those things and three of them literally exploded while I was turning them. Acrylics are much easier to turn. As far as a finish goes, there isn't one, just use Micro Mesh, wet, to 12000. You can then use a plastic polish like Novus or 20/20 or even some stuff from Wally world.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome, Mark!!

If you have not turned plastic and you start with Mica, I'm willing to bet you will give up on it SOON. Start with acrylic-PSI predrilled is fine- once you're comfortable with that, move on.

Mica and inlace are the most difficult-to turn and to drill.

SteveRoberts

I find mica easy to turn, too darn easy, it takes a flick of the wrist to go to the tube. I have to visualize a laser on my chisel to keep from pressing too hard. I haven't blown one up, perhaps it is the time turning the PR cast $$ snakes that makes me so careful, I used to sand them down first on the belt sander, now I just go in with the gouges but I do so LIGHTLY untill I get ribbons.

Steve

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Welcome, Mark!!

If you have not turned plastic and you start with Mica, I'm willing to bet you will give up on it SOON. Start with acrylic-PSI predrilled is fine- once you're comfortable with that, move on.

Mica and inlace are the most difficult-to turn and to drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom