Finishing big leaf maple burl pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Just got some beautiful big leaf maple burl blanks but I don't know what kind of finish to use to bring out the color. I don't like the high gloss CA finish but the waxes I have used don't satisfy me either. Would like some suggestions from you more experienced turners.
Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

Have you tried a friction polish? I like Mylands sanding sealer followed a 2-3 coats of Mylands friction polish.

jttheclockman

Lacquer. Satin, semi-gloss or gloss. You do know you can use CA but just cut back on the shine and not polish to the highest grits.

jttheclockman

I will check out Mylands. Looking for a product to make the color pop but not super shiny. The lacquer is i guess a spray can product
You can pop grain with BLO (boiled Linseed oil) before the lacquer. You can get brush on and dip it. Or spray can. It will take an oil to pop grain. Any clear top coat will not do this. It will darken some but not truely pop it. Another option is Danish oil. It will pop grain and being it has some poly in it it will give a nice feel and warm glow but not shiny.

You can pop grain with BLO (boiled Linseed oil) before the lacquer. You can get brush on and dip it. Or spray can. It will take an oil to pop grain. Any clear top coat will not do this. It will darken some but not truely pop it. Another option is Danish oil. It will pop grain and being it has some poly in it it will give a nice feel and warm glow but not shiny.
Doesn't the Danish oil have some color in it?

jttheclockman

Doesn't the Danish oil have some color in it?
It is an oil so will yellow but that is not color. It is the natural color of oils. I use Danish oil on all my scrollsawn projects which are mainly red oak and it pops the grain and being I sand to 220 grit it leaves a nice feel to the wood. But scrollsawn clocks and projects are not handled like pens. This is what Mylands is too. Now you can get a friction polish but being a pen it will not withstand the use of fingers and oils from hands. It gets grundgy looking with time. I mention Danish oil because it has a small amount of poly and will help protect a pen. These are my opinions. I am a CA man and most people like that shine.

jttheclockman

Poly, lacquer, CA, melted plexiglass, powdercoating as well as paints are all top coats. They are designed to protect woods. polishes and waxes are layer products that wear off when handled. Yes they look good when first applied but will wear off. Now some people may like the look of worn finishes.

TDahl

I have used the BLO to bring out the color and then applied friction polish (Semi-Gloass and Super-Gloss from PSI) which gives a nice finish but not the shine of a CA finish.

DrD

Try wet sanding with walnut oil, and finishing with Pens Plus. Gives a beautifully finished pen. Or, as an alternative, Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil which is used on many high-end gunstocks.

goldendj

Then what do use for the final finish? CA?
Yup. Sand down to 400, apply tung oil while lathe is running trying to force as much in, then stop lathe and make sure plenty of oil still on blank. Come back later; if there are dull spots where it's all soaked in I add more oil and wait again. Once no more soaks in, I wipe the excess off, a dozen coats of CA, sand at 400 until no more shiny spots, several more coats of CA, and then Micro Mesh.

Top Bottom