Finishing Bethlehem Olive

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I just turned a cigar pen with my first Bethlehem Olive blank. Please give me some input on how to finish the wood. I sanded from 150 to 1500 and then brown paper bag. Given the oily nature of the wood and the natural beauty of the wood, what is the best way to apply finish. Is this a wood to simply wax so that it can age, or should I use the Boiled Linseed Oil and CA technique? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

William.
I have seen it recomended that you wipe the blank with Acetone before finishing with anything. I personally use denatured alcohol for the same pourpose and that is to remove the oil in preparation for finishing.
as for a finish choice. I would do one of the following. a straight CA finish, A CA BLO (boiled linseed Oil) finish. or a shellack of some sort.
many times I have done a CA Shellac combo by using shellawax as the final finish. make sure the denatured alcohol has evaporated as the only thing that shellac will not stand up to is alcohol.
bottom line it is important to remove as much of the oil from the surface as you can before finshing

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Thanks, Daniel. I knew that I had seen something somewhere about taking special care with Olive. Should you do the same with Cocobolo and other members of the rosewood family?
William

Daniel

William,
Pat from the Yahoo group recomends you wipe any wood before finishing and she is pretty much the Queen of fine finishes. She has been on a quest to perfect her finishing technique for quite a while now.
But most certainly any oily wood should be wipped down before trying to add any finish. I have not found CA to be effected as much as other types but it can still be a bugger.

daledut

I will absolutely not dispute Pat's preminence in finishing technique. However, I have very good luck using a CA finish with Beth. Olive wood. I don't do anything different. I sand through 12000 MM and then apply my patented CA finish technique. and end up with a nice glossy finish.

Dale

Daniel

Dale,
I have noticed at times that I get cloudy spots etc. with the CA on the oily woods. the same look as if it was sanded through on a previous coat. I may notice it more with these woods as I am awaire that there may be problems when finishing so I am paying particular attention to it. could also be that I did sand through and didn't notice it. my choice of finish for oily woods is by far CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom