Finishing - and then Finishing Again! Argh!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Well, thank goodness it doesn't happen very often, but unfortunately it does happen. The CA finish on the last half a dozen or so pens I have made have all developed reptile skin like cracks and crazing. I noticed it on the last pen I made after about 10 days, so I checked back through the others and found the same problem on 5 others. This hasn't happened to me for a long time, so I guess I was probably due. I am pretty sure it isn't humidity related as it has been quite dry here the past few weeks. I'm guessing it was my CA, so I am in the process of knocking them apart, sanding them down to the wood, cleaning them with acetone, letting them dry out thoroughly, and re-applying my CA finish. As a benchmark, for the first one I used the "old" open bottle of CA (about half full). For the next one(s) I am using a fresh bottle. I guess time will tell. - Dave

PS It is the Stick-Fast Medium Wood Finish. I'm not ready to switch brands just yet as I have been very happy with the results from Stick-Fast for several years. When I do take the plunge it will most likely be to GluBoost.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Are you leaving them out in the cold, or do you keep them somewhere where it is warmer? It is BONE DRY here in Colorado, but I noticed a bit of blushing on something I used CA on recently (I really dont' use it much), and the only thing I could think of is I'd left the bottles in my garage, and its been down below 30 in there due to some recent cold days that hit -5 outside.

leehljp

Member Liaison
This has happened to several from different locations at different times in the past 4 to 5 years. And the common denominator is "Stick Fast". It happened to me (with Stick Fast) about 4 - 5 years ago also.

There is enough good results that most people don't experience this, but when it happens, it seems to be this one brand that it happens with. If one does a search on "Stick Fast", there will be a list of several pages that pop up and many of them mention the cracking and crazing.

There seems to have been a number of problems with Stick Fast and the accelerator, but I do not use accelerator myself.

Last edited:

TonyL

I also use Gluboost, but I also use and really like (and primarily use) Mercury Adhesives Medium Flex and Thin Flex. I also use their aerosol accelerator. It is just another option.

egnald

Are you leaving them out in the cold, or do you keep them somewhere where it is warmer? It is BONE DRY here in Colorado, but I noticed a bit of blushing on something I used CA on recently (I really dont' use it much), and the only thing I could think of is I'd left the bottles in my garage, and its been down below 30 in there due to some recent cold days that hit -5 outside.
Hi - nope, my CA is kept in my workshop/office in our temperature controlled downstairs. I have had the bottle for quite some time, so I'm guessing it was the CA, I suppose I will have more certainty in about 2 weeks if the re-finished ones hang in there. - Dave

BCnabe

I had the same issue with Stick-Fast and switched to Mercury about 3-4 years ago.

I've not had the cracking issue since but I do think I was able to get a shinier/smoother finish with Stick Fast however - especially on darker woods like walnut.

Top Bottom