Finished this weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KKingery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Here's a few that I finished up this week-end.

This is just a Slimline in Teak

200521322632_Slimline%20in%20Teak.jpg

This was an experiment - I call it "Cateyes"

20052132275_Cateyes.jpg

This is the first European Twist Pen I've done - I had an interesting time figuring out the bushing set-up. This was the last piece of Olivewood I had on hand.

20052132289_European%20Twist%20Pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KKingery

I'm amazed that the "Cateyes" has gotten so many comments. It was an experiment just to see if it would work. It's made from Maple Burl, with Wenge cross accents. (Scraps I had in my blank box)I almost threw it away when I got it done.

woodscavenger

I like the slimline. I usually don't like the corset look on slimlines but that one is well done using the convcave curve. I will have to try that one. The others are great as well. Classy european setup.

KKingery

Lou - I think I owe most all of it to the MM I started using. The top slimline was finished with the Deft spray laquer on the lathe. The Cateyes was finished with the Deft, but hang sprayed, and the Olivewood was just finished with good ole' furniture paste wax. I've yet to try the Blo/CA finish. I'm just not brave enough to try it yet. I envision massive stuck bushings to mandrel, etc! - The cateys were cut in using 2 45 degree cuts. I cut the blanks in half at 45, and glued in the first accent piece, and glued the blank back together. After they dried, I again cut them at 45 right through the first accent piece I put in, then glued them back up. That's all there was to it.

krose38

Ken, I'm real new at making pens, but I have been finishing what few I've made with the CA/BLO method and I have not experienced any problems with the CA going into the bushings. I'm just guessing that what is happening is the BLO is blocking the CA form entering between the blank and the bushing. Your Cateyes are great.

C. Scott

Beautiful pens Ken! I too am smitten with the kitten, cat eyes that is [;)] As far as CA goes: I finish all the way with 12k MM and then rub the blank with Acetone. After drying a minute or two I then spread on thin CA with a paper towel and turn the lathe by hand until the CA starts to stick to the paper towel. It then put on two layers of medium CA and then when dry I wet sand with 1500 automotive paper and then put on one more coat of medium ca, all with a paper towel. After the last coat I then wet sand starting with 1500, 2000 then jump to 6k(MM) then 8k(MM) and finally 12k(MM) drying the blank between grits. After all that then, (many will argue) I use Hut PPP white and then Crystal Coat on top of that. I really like the results and all of my latest pens in my album have this finish except for the acrylic.

All that to say that the bushings have never stuck to the the mandrel. NOW, they DO stick to the blank, but a simple twist of the wrist and they are free. Sometimes I have to hold the bushing with some pliers. I then sand the ends flat with some 400 prior to assembly.

I have also used the Deft and I really like it, but it's been several years since I have used it on pens. I need to try it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom