Finish ideas over Pyro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tack

Hey guys!
I'm looking for thoughts on finishing a Pyro Maple Pen. I generally go with a CA finish but in this case since I can't really sand the piece (texturing et al) I decided to go with a spray on Minwax Poly. It was a bit of a fail as it's not really curing and the pyro texture has bleed though. I'm thinking that my spray poly was old and probably bad. I do want to try this effect again so I thought I'd ask for some advise for finishing. I'm thinking that CA won't really lay down very well and since I can't sand it might be a problem? I was maybe leaning to a spray lacquer. New can of course :) Either way given the pyro texturing I figured I'd toss it to the group to see if there might be a better finish for the job. Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_1129097.jpg
    IMG_20200724_1129097.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 198
  • 1595605731404.jpg
    1595605731404.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings - I've never done pyro, so I'm sure there are more experienced folks that can comment. I use clear spray lacquer for a lot of things - not on a pen yet, and certainly not one with the pyro features yours has. There are a couple of reasons I like the clear spray lacquer, first, it dries really fast so multiple thin coats can be applied rather quickly (like only 10 to 15 minutes apart). I also like that I can get it in both satin and gloss finishes.

Regardless of what you wind up using, perhaps you can do a trial on a small sample bit of wood to start with before doing it on the real thing.

The best of Luck - Dave

jttheclockman

With Dave 100% Lacquer is the way to go and yes you can get gloss, semi-gloss or satin so good choices. Lacquer gets downplayed here as a finish but it actually is a good finish and is one that can be recoated if need be. Poly not so much.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
No suggestions for a finish as the above sound excellent. BUT, I really like the texturing you did and the segmenting to accentuate it. Well done! đź‘Ť

DrD

For the majority of the bandsaw boxes I make I use Deft aerosols; first several thin coats of Deft sanding sealer - which you may not need or want - followed by several coats of Deft lacquer, I believe you can get each as a liquid as well. Gives a really great finish.

I'm would love to find out how you did that barrel.

Last edited:

Alan Morrison

Those who follow the UK forum know that a lot of folk there prefer a melamine lacquer finish, the liquid rather than the spray on.
There is an excellent tutorial there by Phil Dart.

Alan

tack

Thanks all for the advise. I'm kinda a gloss hound but I think for this pen a satin would be the way to go. Not sure how lacquer would stand up but maybe with 8-10 coats it would be ok. Also thanks for the kudos on the pen. I don't get to play with my Pyrography kit much. I'd like to do more but you know that takes some sort of skill. lol. DrD, this one is pretty easy if not time consuming. I just get the biggest ball tip that I have, crank the knob to 10 and just start dotting the wood. I alternate between doing a quick touch for a small dimple to leaving for a second or two for a deeper one. After that I just use a toothbrush to get rid of the loose charred bits. Next was to spray it but I think my next go around I will hit it with a thinned out sanding sealer first. Then lacquer the crap out of it.
Tack

DrD

Thanks for the reply. So, in essence, what you've done to the barrel of the pen is almost exactly what we do when we "stipple" a handgun front strap. Difference being you use a hot "wood burning" tip and we use a punch and a hammer. That's going to take a long time to accomplish what you've done! Very interesting, thanks again.

Don

Top Bottom