Finish Drying Rack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shastastan

I just made this. My garage shop is cold in the winter even with a radiant dish heater. I've always had a problem with the finish clouding up. I was finishing on the lathe with a Deft/Lacquer Thinner mix, but it works best when the lathe speed dries the finish. I've used wipe-on poly for bottle stoppers and other items and I bring them into the house to dry. Due to the small size, pens aren't so easy to move around while still wet. My wife has asthma so she is sensitive to paint odors. Wipe-on poly doesn't have strong odors for very long after application so, using my rack, I can dry pens and other small stuff in the house. Wipe-on poly (3 coats at least) is the finish I use the most. I use those cheapo clear very thin plastic gloves and a blue paper shop towel. No mixing or clean up mess.

Pen Dry Rack www.jpg

I made this rack out of scrap wood and 1/4" dowel. The parts are all 8"x2" except the top which is 16" x 2". The dowel pieces are 6". I've place a some blanks and a brass tube on the dowels and a ruler to show the size. I glued the dowels in place. 1/4" size is slightly larger than the brass tubes so I had to sand them down. I probably should have used a collet chuck and done it on the lathe. I might add a few 3/8's thread carriage bolts on the opposite side for bottle stoppers. This rack will save me time because it was taking too long for my old finish to dry on the lathes when applying 6 coats and buffing between coats also. I just used Titebond glue and a brad nailer for assembly. YMMV

Bope

Nice idea. I am curious how do you wipe on your finish and then transfer to the rack? I am thinking about trying a wipe on finish on some things but don't want to tie up the lathe waiting for them to dry.

I don't know how Stan does his, but I put wipe on poly with a square of old t-shirt, then wipe it back with one of those blue paper towels from the automotive section at WalMart...then still holding it with the towel, I slide the piece onto my drying rack.... don't have a picture of mine, but it's nothing more than a 1 x 12 x 12 board with dowel rods every few inches .... it hangs from the rafter above my work station.

shastastan

Nice idea. I am curious how do you wipe on your finish and then transfer to the rack? I am thinking about trying a wipe on finish on some things but don't want to tie up the lathe waiting for them to dry.
I have this set of metal rod punches that I got from harbor freight. I use one that barely fits in the tube after turning. (I sand to 1200 grit on the lathe). I wrap masking tape around 5 turns to keep the blank from sliding below a certain place on the rod. With the blank on the rod I apply the poly with a scrap of blue towel. I then slide the blank from the rod to dowel on the rack. Actually you could do the application while the blank is on the dowel, too, but for me, I find it easier to use the rod so that I don't have to touch it with my hand after applying the poly. The main reason that I use the rack is so that I can take it in the house to dry rather than my 50 deg. F. garage. Also less dust in the air inside. I don't use this method when it's not cold, but it does free up your lathe and I like that.

Top Bottom