Fine grit 6" grinder wheel sources?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRoberts

I am looking for wheels for my grinder in 100 grit or there abouts, I can only seem to locate diamond wheels at about $80, any body got any ideas?

6" x 3/4? in 100 grit or finer.

Thanks Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

You may have trouble finding 6" wheels. Reason is the 8" is much more practical and therefore more popular. A 6" gives too much of a hollowing effect on the grind, an 8" more nearly approaches straight. And most 6" grinders on the market are made to sell cheaply. Junk. A lot of old used motors with an arbor will handle an 8" for you. Suggest you forget about using a 6".

esheffield

8" is for sure better, but I got along pretty well with my old B&D 6" for a good while. I got a pink aluminum oxide wheel for it at Woodcraft pretty reasonably. Can't remember the exact grit, either 80 or 120. A quick search turned up a couple of 120s in white (#01W43) or pink (#127251). My only gripe is that it seemed pretty out of round when I got it and vibrated quite a bit, but dressing it got rid of almost all vibration.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=216

Hope this helps!

Randy_

Lee Valley and Grizzly also carry them. You shouldn't really have trouble finding them on the Internet. I will say I have never seen them at the big box stores.

I expect that your local Rockler store will have them, too.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by esheffield
<br />8" is for sure better, but I got along pretty well with my old B&D 6" for a good while. I got a pink aluminum oxide wheel for it at Woodcraft pretty reasonably. Can't remember the exact grit, either 80 or 120. A quick search turned up a couple of 120s in white (#01W43) or pink (#127251). My only gripe is that it seemed pretty out of round when I got it and vibrated quite a bit, but dressing it got rid of almost all vibration.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=216

Hope this helps!

I had to return an 80 grit blue to Woodcraft. The very nice customer service lady that I talked to said an unfortunately large number of wheels are shipped to them defective. Either non-concentric or not flat. Something to check immediately upon receipt if you buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom