Finally tried BLO/CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

And here are the two results. The technique does sound a bit daunting when you read through it, but it really isn't that bad. But who says I'm doing it right? [:I] I followed the BLO/CA treatment with Shellawax since that's currently all I have. The first is spalted Beech and I'll let you folks be the judge.

200551341922_spalted_beech.jpg

The next was a combination of two new techniques. The last was the finish. The first was to try my hand at using a tool the way it was intended. Okay, so I'm self taught. Yes, I'm one of those guys that got a lathe and just started playing around. Now I'm actually learning to use it correctly. :D Daniel started a discussion on this a day or so ago about the skew. So I read up on it and put it to work on a couple of pieces of Ipe (Brazilian Ironwood). The only thing I didn't use the skew on was the cove behind the nib.

200551342650_ipe.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! And I'm really starting to like the skew. Of course, it will bite you if you aren't careful, but that's all in the learning, right? I know that some don't care for embellished slimlines, but I just can't help myself. I just hate to turn away all that pretty wood, if you know what I mean. [:I]

Daniel

Billy,
Don't know about you, but everythign was lookng terribly wrong to me until the scew met wood. it still doesn't look right to me but works wonderfully. havn't had anything even come close to catching yet. but havn't tried beads and all. still I'm pretty jumpy just waiting for it. you are doing a great job with it.

JimGo

Billy, I'm with you; I like to turn a Slimline with embellishments too. Although, I've come to appreciate the nice clean lines of one, too. Again, nice job on these!

atvrules1

Very nice job Billy. I really like the shape on the beech. I like that you didn't put the CB in, it enhances the shape without making it seem like you were trying to conform to a pattern. Very effectivly done. Hope you don't mind if I try something similar. And on the other hand. Don't you love the skew. My favorite tool, especially since I followed Alan Lacers shape for it.

alamocdc

Thanks, Alan, and I don't mind at all. They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and I've "copied" my share of other designs from other projects in the past. Granted, most were either furniture pieces, RC airplanes and customized miniature diecast cars, but I'm sure I'll see a pen design that catches my eye and I'll try to mimic it. You may not be able to tell, but I left the clip blank a little long because my intent was to leave the CB out from the beginning. It is almost the CB length longer, but not quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom