Finally able to turn some wood and I've become completely obsessed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nivlac

I am totally green to turning. I have bought several wood working tools. I have been buying these tools and machinery since late April early may. Then I get struck with a home remodel honey-do since I had one of the kids move out. (The only plus side). I finally get in my shop last month and I have become completely obsessed. My wife has even taken an interest. She only likes to polish though. Lol. She likes to make the acrylics shine. All i do nowadays is look on the internet for pen kits and wood blanks. I couldn't tell you how much money I've spent in the last month. Anybody know what I'm talking about??

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I think you need to click the link in my sig and find out how bad the rest of us have it ....

Those that admit having it, anyways. :)

Imaginethat

My new next door neighbor, about 2 months ago, walked into my workshop/garage yesterday and said, "Holy $#!+, you have some serious stuff in here!" "Looks like a serious addiction to me!"

I told her it was not an addiction (first step denial). I need this many blanks in order to be able to pick out a good match for pen kits and customer needs.

(Remember, deny everything, even if caught in the act. Never admit to anything, take no pictures and write nothing down!) This was taught to me by a salty old sailor back in 1973. Don't remember his name, but I blame him (second step, blame someone else!)

So if you are reading this, I will tell you I would go to a "Tuner's Anonymous Metting" if I had a problem, but no problem here!

Now if I could just find a customer? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

stonepecker

It get worse with time........

Her: "You are ready have 4 of those tools!"
Me: "But Dear, I don't have a 'green one' yet."

(notice, I called her DEAR........when you use your eyes also it can really work.)

Her: "When did you get that new tool?"
Me: "That isn't new, I have had that for years."

Now it might be a new tool but if you buy used tools and clean them up...... there is always room for doubt. Make sure she doesn't come into your shop/studio/cave to often. And announce every three or four weeks you "cleaned up" in there and "FOUND" that tool that has been missing.

Her: "When are you going to find the time to make _______?"

ALWAYS.......Always, make her stuff first. Then she tends to leave things happen that normaly will get you in trouble. And never hide the receipts....burn them.

With time, you will find your own little ideas. Be sure to pass them on to the new people that get this bug.
Good luck in your treatment.

Skie_M

Honey: "Hey, is that another new tool in the garage?"

Me: "Yup ... I just built it last weekend ... it only cost me about 50 bucks!" :biggrin:

JimB

Welcome to the addiction.

I have found that whenever I buy a new tool it REALLY helps when I tell my wife when I use if for the first time and show her the results! That way she knows I needed it!

ELA

Reminds me of the story of the man pulling a new bass boat behind his truck who stopped at a sewing machine store. He told the salesman that he wanted to buy a new sewing machine for his wife. The salesman asked him what price range he was interested in. The man replied, "Oh, about like a bass boat.":biggrin:

Top Bottom