File conversion for CNC milling required

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Most of you know that I have a Chinese 60x40 CNC machine I purchased in 2015 (I think...!), I haven't used it in years as I didn't have anything exciting that would want to make me play with it again however recently, I had a request to mill some knife scales out of Red Gum/Colonial Red Gum and I was given a 3D file (STL) that is only suitable for 3D printing as I have already printed both right and left scales, however, I don't have any software to convert STL into v3m or v3v.

I have attached a screen copy of the software I use to download the V3m file and set up the CNC settings for the milling of the part from there I start milling.

Can you help with this...? if you can let me know and I will send you the 2 STL files for conversion.

Thank you,

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Koi wood handles CNC.jpg
    Koi wood handles CNC.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Hi George,

I can't help (don't have any CNC stuff), but one thought: have you tried starting with a new (blank) project and tried importing the STL file into it as a part?

Best of luck -

Duncan

robutacion

Hi
Hi George,

I can't help (don't have any CNC stuff), but one thought: have you tried starting with a new (blank) project and tried importing the STL file into it as a part?

Best of luck -

Duncan
Duncan,

The program I use to work with the CNC only accepts those 2 formats I showed on my thread attached pic, sorry.

It may be an easy way to convert them but I simply don't know enough about CNC software to know what to do.

Cheers
George

duncsuss

I don't know about CNC, but I do know how to drive Google šŸ¤£ - I found several websites where you upload a file and they give it back to you converted, but none of the ones that I looked at offered STL to Vectra formats.

Hope you are able to find a way to do it without having to buy one of those expesive 3D design programs.

robutacion

I don't know about CNC, but I do know how to drive Google šŸ¤£ - I found several websites where you upload a file and they give it back to you converted, but none of the ones that I looked at offered STL to Vectra formats.

Hope you are able to find a way to do it without having to buy one of those expensive 3D design programs.
Yeah, that is what I simply can not justify the expense and from what I searched, all software that can make this conversion they ask you to buy it any other "suggestions" given by some fellows on the issue they seem to ask me to do things that I have no idea what they are talking about, they use technical terminology that is common among those well educated/experienced on CNC issues something that I'm not.

I can only hope that some of the folks on IAP I know have that software and the know how can see my request for help and are willing to help out.

Cheers
George

Curly

Can the person that gave you the STL file redo it in a format you can work with? Wouldn't they have used a cad/modelling program to start with?

robutacion

Can the person that gave you the STL file redo it in a format you can work with? Wouldn't they have used a cad/modelling program to start with?
Hi Peter

Well, yeah I would think so because someone has had to have designed the handles/scales and they would have the option (I believe) to save it as v3m or v3v format, however, the person that sent me the files has no idea what format I need, I have requested him to speak to the designer and have them converted but has been one week and I haven't heard a thing back so, I'm just trying to get those files converted by someone else so that I can start to set-up my CNC and test the correct cutters I need.

So, Peter, your observation is correct and I agree with you...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi,

So I contacted Vetric about a way to convert an STL into a v3m so that the "Machinist" programs they offer to open the v3m files that we can purchase from them, they tell me that v3m format is proprietary to them so no go.

They didn't mention anything about any of their Software that can open STL files and convert to something else that will allow working with Mac3 and CNC's so I have asked that same question and see what's they say...!

With that said, I'm a bit puzzled as to the what software most people use to design something and then convert into something that will work to create the Gcode necessary for Mac3 to read and make the CNC work.

So I wonder, can an STL file be converted into a format that can be read by some software that will convert it into Gcode for CNC milling...?

Interestingly, I got a free version of 360 Fusion where I can open the STL files I've got but I can't seem to find a way to get it converted into Gcode, I wonder if this "free" version of 360Fusion does only allow to open files for viewing but nothing else...?

Can anyone help...?

Cheers
George

darrin1200

Good morning George.
Fusion 360 will do what you want, but it is a huge learning curve.

I have VCarve Pro, and I can open stl's directly into it. If you want, send me the file and I will try it in my software.

Top Bottom